We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Families on the #320

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Families on the #320

I am considering staying at The Holiday Inn Express in North Bergen with my wife and 3 girls 13,11 and 8. How far away is the bus station and is it safe to travel to Manhattan that way?

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Families on the #320

A folded double-stroller isn't going to fit on the bus. You will need to ask the driver to open the cargo hold.

The bus will be very busy on weekdays especially once it reaches the park & ride and probably on weekends as well.

You'll want to download the schedule for #320 bus. It will tell you its route.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,055 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Families on the #320

I don't normally take the 320 but I do take other NJ Transit busses so I think my experience is valid. I concur with Broadway and AERRULES about asking the driver to let you use the luggage compartment (I see people doing this for bicycles during peak rush hour all the time). Remind the driver when you go to get off that he needs to open the luggage area for you.

Re the return, I also agree with AERULES about having a problem getting seats but with the following note. If you're willing to skip a bus you will absolutely get seats and probably get them together. IOW, when you board, ask the driver if he thinks you'll get seats and if he says no , then just wait for the next bus. People do this all the time, I can assure you (including me, I won't stand unless I'm really in a rush).

OTOH, during rush hour in summertime, the wait on the platforms at the bus terminal during the evening rush can be unpleasant -- hot., sticky and crowded. My advice with small kids in a stroller would be to get to the bus terminal before 5:00 PM for your return if you want to avoid all of this.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Families on the #320

10 days of this with small children will be a major PAIN in the neck!!!!

Your kids will be cranky. It will hot and humid. All around miserable for everybody.

Yes, avoid returning to NJ until after the evening rush hour is over 7pm or do the return before 4pm.

Go into the city after the morning rush hour is over 9am, or before the morning rush hour begins 6am.

A hotel in Jersey City near the PATH would have been a *much* better option.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,055 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Families on the #320

I'm inclined to agree with Broadway in this, a hotel near PATH would be a lot easier

Baudette, Minnesota
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Families on the #320

cms2009 The 320 back from NYC was no problem getting a seat if you get to the port authority gate and in line at least 20 min before departing.Buy your tickets in advance. This was a very easy commute both ways,15 min even during rush hour, we caught the bus at Embassy Suites and always found a seat.This was a great area if you have kids and the coach bus was very comfortable.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Families on the #320

Have you considered some of the the hotels in Queens, which as a part of New York city has the NYC subway/bus system servicing it? You can buy a metro card and ride all you want. Post on the NYC forums for suggestions, but the Country Inn and Suites has gotten pretty good feedback.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Families on the #320

Wow. Thank you for so much helpful e detailed replies! I appreciated so much. Well, now I have to decide what to do with all this information. Staying in Secaucus seemed to me a better way to spend my money. I got 3 reservations that I can cancel anytime before cheking inn: LaQuinta Secaucus for $109, Hyatt Secaucus for $129 (both inbelievable rates for july also 1 month before depart and have 2 big supermarket near:walmart and Sams) and SalisburyNY for $191 :( (good rate considering NY rates but still high for me, and without internet, breakfast and parking). We will be arriving by car from DC, so I thought would be nice to have a car to walk around also (like shoping, Jersey Shore or even Phil). We will have 10 days in NJ/NY and considering that we won't be able to do broadway shows and fashion or chic restaurants with small kids, I think it is too much time to see only NY with kids in summer. But I have to say that this "hot, sticky and crowded Port Authority terminal" made me feel discouraged. As for Queens,

I didnt feel wanting to stay at this neighborhood when saw the pictures and reviews at trip advisor, but I may be wrong. It is just an Impression. Yesterday I looked for good rates near Path and didn't find. Maybe a last minute rate may apear. I will wait until sunday when my husband arrives from working in South Dakota. Then we will talk and decide what to do. Thanks again.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Families on the #320

You do whatever you want to do.

I know what I would do.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,055 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Families on the #320

Actually, now that I know you'll have a car, my advice changes completely. You should drive in. No question about it, it will be easier, very possibly cheaper, and take about the same amount of time door to door. As long as you leave Secaucus no earlier than 9:00 AM and on your return, avoid leaving NYC between, say, 5:00 PM and 7:00 PM (but even if you leave then, you'll just sit in traffic an extra 20-25 min).

There's at least 2 posters looking for info so let me point out a couple of things. The round trip fare for adults (ages 12 and over) is $8.50; seniors and children under 12 are $3.80 (but on weekends, up to 2 kids travel free with each full fare adult), so that's a significant commuting cost. If you do take the bus, BE SURE TO PURCHASE A ROUND TRIP TICKET FROM THE DRIVER ON THE NJ SIDE. Drivers in NJ accept cash and will give change. You CANNOT board in NYC without a ticket.

But if you drive, the toll is just $8.00 (payable going into NYC only, the trip to NJ is free). And you can park for up to 12 hours for as little as $18 if you have internet connectivity and can print out coupons (go to http://nyc.bestparking.com/index.php and select DAILY, BY NEIGHBORHOOD, WEST 50s. Enter your time and dates of travel. If you don't mind walking a few long blocks you can park around 10th Ave, else try to park EAST of 8th ave as that will be closer to eg subwasys, times square, etc. I arbitrarily put in 9:30 am to 9:30 PM for next wednesday and I see rates as low as $18 between 7th and 8th avenues (very convenient to everything)

20. Re: Families on the #320

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 17:15