We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?

naples fl
Level Contributor
251 posts
347 reviews
254 helpful votes
Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?

Revisiting The Jersey Shore in July after being away for about 35 - 40 years. Couple in our late 50's wondering which of the two we should see? Have fond memories of both and want to show the area to my wife who has never been there. thanks

36 replies to this topic
Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
75 reviews
106 helpful votes
1. Re: Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?

If you want to relive those fond memories from 35-40 years back, than Seaside Heights is what you want. Except for some newer rides, renovations after SS Sandy, and rebuilding due to the Seaside Park section fire, Seaside remains much the same as I remember from my youth (but much cleaner) & we're in the same age group.. If you want to stay where its a bit less crazy opt for hotels in Seaside Park. We always stay at the Charlroy.

As for Asbury, as much as I love this shore town it has been completely rebuilt after being rundown for way to many years. Although becoming beautiful it is definitely NOT the Asbury you knew 40 years ago.

IMO Seaside still offers that authentic "Jersey Shore" experience. Feel free to send me a message with any other questions

Enjoy.

Cocotel251

Edited: 28 March 2015, 22:52
naples fl
Level Contributor
251 posts
347 reviews
254 helpful votes
2. Re: Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?

Thanks sounds like good advice. I had a room at The Anchor Motel but I think I'll switch to The Charlroy. Safety and peace and quiet are good!

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
121 reviews
68 helpful votes
3. Re: Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?

I answered you on the other thread you started. Did you read it? Seaside is not a good choice. IMHO.

Edited: 29 March 2015, 05:56
Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
75 reviews
106 helpful votes
4. Re: Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?

The Charlroy is a great choice. The "couple" rooms are recently renovated. It's right across from the beach(beach passes included) and the board walk is also steps away.

Love to hear why Mary doesn't think Seaside is a good choice. It bigger than Point Pleasant, not over the top like Wildwood and ........ Plenty of boardwalk bars. ;-) . Also some really nice restaurants in the area. (not just boardwalk food.

Enjoy.

naples fl
Level Contributor
251 posts
347 reviews
254 helpful votes
5. Re: Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?

Thanks, I also would like the basis for her suggestion. Maybe Seaside is too much for us old farts?

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
75 reviews
106 helpful votes
6. Re: Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?

My wife and I are the same age group and we go each year end of the summer. Much more to do there. To each his own.

Enjoy.

naples fl
Level Contributor
251 posts
347 reviews
254 helpful votes
7. Re: Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?

As of now, booked at The Charlroy. Thank you for taking the time to help us out with this.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
121 reviews
68 helpful votes
8. Re: Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?

I happen to not like the atmosphere of a lot of the boardwalk. I just don't feel comfortable there. There is a negative "play" on the name Seaside that many people use and for good reason. I also, know that traffic officers have a reputation of unfair enforcement. Those are enough reasons for me to avoid the place.

naples fl
Level Contributor
251 posts
347 reviews
254 helpful votes
9. Re: Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?

Thanks MaryGo3. I have 2 nights mid week and hopefully once we arrive, the car will be parked until we head out.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
405 posts
32 reviews
25 helpful votes
10. Re: Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?

The Palm Villa which is also decent it is in the area of the Charlroy maybe 1/4 of a block between them check out their reviews

Edited: 26 May 2015, 02:53
Reply to: Seaside Heights or Asbury Park?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seaside Heights
Recent Conversations