We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2008 Restaurant advice needed!

DE
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
2008 Restaurant advice needed!

I am going to OC in a couple of weeks and it will be my 3rd year. Each year I have tried new restaurants. I would say that 70% of them other than boardwalk food are terrible. So far we have been very dissappointed with the following restaurants:

DISSAPPOINTED IN:

Periwinkles

Obadiah's

Island Grill

Picnic

Ike's Crab Cakes

Pino's Grill

Chatterbox

Luigi's

We have LOVED:

Mack & Mancko's

Crab Trab (Somer's Point)

Piccini

The Varsity

Brown's

The Inlet

Sacko's Subs

I have thoughts of trying the following this year:

McGlade's

4th Street Cafe

Anchorage

Smitty's Clam Bar

Can someone give me feedback on these restaurants that I have not been to? I am really looking for quality food in or around OC. I know it may seem that I have been harsh on some restaurants, but I really am looking for consistency and quality food.

Please advise!

Thanks,

Matt

Sewell, New Jersey
Level Contributor
208 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: 2008 Restaurant advice needed!

Okay Matt ...

McGlade's - went for breakfast and it was VERY good !!!

4th Street Cafe - new owners this year ... i would say skip it cause it's just not as good .. the old owners are now at 1st and Asbry - at a place called "Who's on 1st" .. now that is worth a try !!

sorry ... no comment on the Anchorage or Smitty's Clam Bar ..

have you thought of Oves on the boardwalk at 4th Street ... that's worth a try !

Enjoy your vacation ...

=)

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: 2008 Restaurant advice needed!

The Anchorage - Great extensive menu, great bar but there will be a long wait almost anytime you go there in season.

You might also want to try one of our favorite places, Charlie's Bar and Restaurant just around the corner from the Anchorage on Shore Road http://www.charliesbar.com

I have to echo what was said about 4th Street Café and would also suggest you give Oves a try. I agree with most on your "loved list" (we haven't tried The Inlet yet) and many on your disappointed list.

There is also a place called Mario's on Bay Ave (15th?) which is better than Luigi's. It's kind of a classic Pizza place/Restaurant. We also like the Hamburger Construction Company on the boardwalk at Playland. Have you tried Sack 0 Subs and Primo Hoagie on Asbury? For Chinese we can recommend Island Shore Chinese Restaurant on Route 9 in Marmora. If you are in the south end of town this is closer as it's over the Roosevelt Blvd. bridge and then a left on rt 9.

Good luck and share any new things you may find!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: 2008 Restaurant advice needed!

If you are prepared to do short drives (no more than 20 minutes) you might enjoy

Manna in Margate

Basillicos in Sea Isle City

Dune in Ventnor

Try a ride to AC for subs at the White House sub shop.

Bucks County
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: 2008 Restaurant advice needed!

Hi Matt,

I wanted to second Frank's suggestion of Charlie's bar. We go there every time we are in OC. It is bar food (burgers and such) but it is really good, very reasonable, and the wings are the best. Its very family friendly and they have tons of tvs for watching baseball. Also, have you tried Rojos for mexican. They have 2 locations (partners had a falling out) and I think they are both equally good. Excellent fish tacos and even a kids menu. Mostly takeout but definitely worth a try. Those are two of our favorites. I will say we have been satisfied with Pinos. Not sure what you had that turned you off. This year I would like to try Randazzos now that the construction is completed and it has all of those nice outside tables. Anyone been there recently?

Enjoy your trip and report back with what was good.

Sewell, New Jersey
Level Contributor
208 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: 2008 Restaurant advice needed!

Agree with Sandman ... RoJos at 6th and Ocean ... mostly take out unless you want to eat on top of surf boards ... =) ... and the owner is a nice guy !

Natick, MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
6. Re: 2008 Restaurant advice needed!

For other places to consider, I'd like to give you these two:

The Sindia Restaurant at 801 Plymouth Place, 609-399-1997. We've been going there for years. It's a traditional, old-fashioned place where the dinners include everything from soup through home-made desserts. We were just there a few weeks ago and found the food to be better than ever.

http://www.sindiarestaurant.com/

The Bashful Banana at Ocean Colony Walk between 9th & 10th street on the Boardwalk. This place is pretty funky. Lots of healthy alternatives to traditional boardwalk food. I've never had a bad experience there. And, make sure to try a banana-whipped sundae for dessert - if you've still got room left. How they make healthy bananas taste like Breyer's ice cream is beyond me.

- Jim

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: 2008 Restaurant advice needed!

I forgot Rojos, but I think we got delivery from the one on Haven...I liked the fish tacos too!

We went to Randazos on 34th during the winter..it's really a glorified pizza place. My wife and I had pasta dishes which were very good, but a bit pricey.

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
8. Re: 2008 Restaurant advice needed!

Is Charlie's Bar in OC? How about the Anchorage? I thought OC was a dry town?

Sewell, New Jersey
Level Contributor
208 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: 2008 Restaurant advice needed!

Both are across the bridge in Somers Point !

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
334 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: 2008 Restaurant advice needed!

Tuckers in Somer's Point- turn right coming out of O.C. after the bridge 609-927-3100

Follow the gull towards SeaIsle

Mildred's in Strathmere- I have a review on that one.

Nice drive, after the bridge on the left. Check the review for details.Excellent seafood, etc. BYO

Tuckahoe Inn- Beasley's Point- the Beasley's Point bridge is closed, so you have to find an alternate route- we go by way of rte nine. Waterfront dining,

music, bar. They also have different events to check out- crab cracking ?

I know more but I'll have to think. Good travels to you.