We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monday night dinner?

Boston...
Level Contributor
45 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Monday night dinner?

We'll be passing through Portsmouth on a Monday night on our way home from Maine, and are looking for restaurant recommendations.

We've been to the Portsmouth Brewery which was OK, but we don't have a burning desire to go back. We'd like something casual and good, preferably relatively convenient to I-95. Pretty much anything but fried seafood would be welcome.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Maine
Maine
United States
Portsmouth Brewery
Portsmouth Brewery
1,152 Reviews
Portsmouth, NH
Green Elephant
$$ - $$$, Asian, Thai
Surf
$$ - $$$, American, Bar, Seafood
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monday night dinner?

Can't think of a place right off I-95. But there are tons of good restaurants in downtown Portsmouth. Here are a couple of favorites:

Rosa's - Italian

Molly Malone's - Everything from burgers to main courses

Oar House - right on the water. Very popular.

There is also a Mexican restaurant a short way up from the Oar House that I cannot think of the name. It is not your usual enchiladas and chimichangas, but more Mexian or southwest themed and excellent.

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
The Oar House
The Oar House
366 Reviews
Portsmouth, NH
Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monday night dinner?

In downtown Portsmouth, you could either go to the Rosa or the Library Retaurant may be? I was just up at the Rosa a few weeks ago, it's still wonderful there:

www.therosa.com

The Library restaurant is better than ever these days:

www.libraryrestaurant.com

Another idea for you but it's not in Portsmouth, it's further down the coast yet right off I-95 is you could go to downtown Newburyport. You could go 2 ways. Either go along Rte 1 from the Portsmouth Traffic circle, to get yourself down to downtown Newburyport or stay on I-95 & head there that way, that parts up to you guys. Once in Newburyport, park in their Municipal parking lot, it's free, it's located right as you drive in to the town on the right hand side and usually you can find a parking spot there, 9 times out of 10. I would think on a Monday night you'll luck out, it would be quieter than a weekend night, that's for sure. Walk across the street to where the Firehouse Theater is located & go to the first floor's "Not Your Average Joe's" restaurant and if it's a good night, sit outside in back along the river, they have the tall tables out there overlooking the Merrimac. It's really pretty nice here with a great atmosphere for every one, no matter where you sit, inside or out, it's comfortable & fun, I know it's a chain, but it's got great cuisine & good choices on their menu. Good way to end a Maine get away, either in Portsmouth or Newburyport, whatever you decide...

www.notyouraveragejoes.com

I'm I'm wrong and it's too crowded on a Monday night? There's the Black Cow restaurant in Newburyport too that you could walk down to:

www.blackcowrestaurant.com

Have a great time wherever you decide to go.

Mentioned in this post
The Rosa
The Rosa
274 Reviews
Portsmouth, NH
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monday night dinner?

Oops, I just saw a few typos I can't fix. One of them though I can tell you, the Black Cow's site is this below not the above way:

www.blackcowrestaurants.com

It has an S at the end of restaurant!

I was just going to tell you about Ron Jillian's in Hampton and Ronaldo's in No. Hampton. Two really good choices if you like Italian cuisine BUT I just looked & they're both closed on Mondays. Ron Jillian's can be loud with their music, but still, such a great menu & they're quick & reasonable, where Ronaldo's is always packed because it's extremely good, always was! So crowded though that we get it "to go" these days. BUT they're even better than Ron Jillian's in my book! Oh well, I think you have some good choices just the same...

Have fun!

Boston...
Level Contributor
45 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monday night dinner?

Thanks for all of the replies! We wound up meeting a friend in Portland, so we didn't need any of the recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Monday night dinner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 01:19