We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far is it....

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
how far is it....

from portsmouth NH to ogunquit ME beach?

Also what is the nicest beach in southern Maine close to NH and can anyone recommend a good cruise with teens where we will see sea life and good narration? Isle of shoals??? any recommended tour companies?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Maine
Maine
United States
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how far is it....

Portsmouth to Ogunquit is about half an hour +/-.

Beaches:

Wallis Sands - along the NH shore south of Portsmouth.

York Beach - I don't know the specifics, but I recall that another Forumite has talked about it.

Ogunquit - Very nice beach.

Moody Beach - 5 - 10 minutes from Ogunquit.

Getting on the water and seeing sea life, I'd recommend a whale watch. I am pretty sure they leave out of Portsmouth, probably other locations, as well. Different companies in each location, but they're all good. You will see whales, sometimes several varieties, as well as dolphin, porpoise, various water fowl, and who knows what else. You will all enjoy this.

If you go on a whale watch, be mindful of the setting and clothing. It will be 20 degrees colder and damper 25 miles out to sea, and the water will be rougher. Dress in layers and have extra layers for warmth, including a windbreak layer. If any of your party are prone to motion sickness or queasiness, take Dramamine before or when you get on board so it will take effect as you hit the deeper and choppier water. Take binoculars, one pair per person, if you have it. And take cameras. Telephoto lenses are helpful but not essential. The whales are very large and not uncommonly come quite close.

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
York Beach
York Beach
York, ME
Moody Beach
Moody Beach
50 Reviews
Wells, ME
2. Re: how far is it....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 01:18