We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches? Portsmouth or Hampton

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
beaches? Portsmouth or Hampton

I'm taking the family to Boston next week and then up the coast for two nights. We have not yet decided if we will stay in Portsmouth or Hampton as a home base? Can anyone recommend one over the other in terms of beach quality and New England Charm?

NH
Level Contributor
278 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches? Portsmouth or Hampton

I would stay in Portsmouth personally...and then drive South on Rt 1 and go to North Hampton or Rye beaches.

I'm not a fan of Hampton in general though.

Alton Bay, New...
Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches? Portsmouth or Hampton

I would go to York Maine beaches

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
638 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches? Portsmouth or Hampton

Hampton Beach recently recieved a 5 star rating for clean beaches. http://www.hamptonchamber.com/

and if you have kids in tow, they will like the area better than other area beaches. Hampton might be pricier than Portsmouth but its only a 15 minute ride down the coast, and a beautiful scenic ride also.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches? Portsmouth or Hampton

A couple of notes. That scenic ride down to Hampton is Rte 1A. Along that road, soon after it reaches the ocean, you will come to Wallis Sands State Park, and a couple of other state parks, all with very nice beaches and less crazy than Hampton.

5. Re: beaches? Portsmouth or Hampton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 17:18