We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Portsmouth?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Portsmouth?

I am flying into Boston on a Tuesday in June and driving my kids up to camp in Belrade, Maine on Wendesday. Tuesday night I will be with the kids and Wednesday night I will be without the kids, before flying home on Thursday. I looked at staying in Boston, Portsmouth or Porland. The latter two have the advantage of breaking up the drive and alot more reasonable hotel costs.

I am having trouble figuring out where to stay. Any recommendations?

New England
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Portsmouth?

Hello! :)

Either the Sheraton or the Hilton are your best bets In my opinion. Both are walkable to many fine restaurants and nightlife. Also, there is parking and no need to use your car at all in these central locations!

Good luck! :)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Portsmouth?

I got a better rate at the Marriott Wentworth by the Sea than at either of the two you recommended. It looks so nice on the internet. Are the other two much better?

New England
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Portsmouth?

I'm glad to hear that you were lucky enough to get a good rate there! The only better quality is the proximity to the city. If you have a car you can drive into portsmouth and park at the Hanover St. Garage. The Wentworth is a very beautiful and historic building!

Enjoy your stay!

NH
Level Contributor
278 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Portsmouth?

Wentworth is nice, but if you want to be able to walk a minute or 2 into town...I'd stay at the Sheraton or Hilton.

Otherwise you can just drive into town.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Portsmouth?

I dont know the area at all. That's what I'm wondering - one night with the kids, and one night alone - am I better off in town at the Hilton or at the nice hotel with the pool? Which is more convenient to the highway? which is more convenient to the kittery shopping?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Portsmouth?

You are coming in the summer, you got a good price for the Wentworth, then I would stay there. "Wentworth by the Sea" is less than 4 miles away from Downtown and about a 10 minute drive. There is a reasonably price parking garage in downtown Portsmouth and street parking with meters.

The Downtown Portsmouth, NH hotels are 3 miles away from Kittery, Maine less than a 5 minute drive.

Wentworth by the Sea is 6 miles away and less than 15 minutes from Kittery, ME.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Portsmouth?

Thank you. That is helpful.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
205 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Portsmouth?

We've stayed at the Wentworth by the sea and it is a positively beautiful property. If you go into Portsmouth, there is a very reasonable parking lot as already said. Kittery is very close by car. If you are at the Wentworth and the weather is good, you might just want to stay right there. Just beware the restaurant there is expensive.

9. Re: Stay in Portsmouth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 15:21