We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moose Sightings

pa
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Moose Sightings

Hi, I was looking to go to Pittsburg NH or Maine in May. We want to stay in a cabin on a lake, we have Kayaks and love hiking. I also read that Pittsburg has a lot of Moose sightings. I have been to Moosehead Lake and seen moose on my own. We took the tour in MH and didn't see one Moose. I mainly want to see Moose and go kayaking on this trip. I would be traveling from NE Pennsylvania which would be almost 8hrs. to Pittsburg...anything closer? I know you have to go far north to see Moose.

7 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moose Sightings

I know you can see a bear at Clark's trading post but can't guarantee seeing bear or moose otherwise. not really sure what you are asking since it seems you want to be on a lake anyway.

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moose Sightings

I've seen moose in Nashua right on MA line and been up north near Quebec line and not see moose. What you are looking for is a roll of the dice. There's just no way to predict it.

Milton, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moose Sightings

Never any guarantees but in Pittsburg on the lake, at sunset or dawn, your chances of seeing them are about as good as it gets.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moose Sightings

Pittsburg is beautiful. I went with my daughter for an overnight with the intent/hope of seeing moose. No luck. We drove two logging roads that the locals recommended. But it is worth the trip, and you could end up seeing as many as a dozen or more if your timing and luck are good.

We stayed at a placed called Tall Timbers on one of the lakes. The setting is incredible. They have kayaks or you can bring your own. The have a lodge with hotel rooms, and cabins of varying sizes. Check out their website www.talltimber.com.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moose Sightings

By the way, among other things, the food at Tall Timbers is excellent.

Also, the folks at TT suggested a couple of roads to drive out on looking for moose. This is an area that is sparse on people with a lot of forest land and an incredible network of dirt roads that provide logging access, and snowmobile trails in winter. You can buy a map of the snowmobile trails. But they recommended driving up Magalloway Rd and E. Inlet Rd, which are both east off of Rte 3. E. Inlet goes all the way up to the Canadian border. Magalloway winds into Maine where you can get on Rte 16 and circle back into NH, head south toward Berlin, etc., or take other roads back around to Pittsburg.

Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moose Sightings

We will be going to Lopstick in July - went 2 years ago and loved it, so peaceful. Went out a few mornings, early, with a cup of coffee looking for moose! Nothing! Maybe this year.

pa
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moose Sightings

Thanks, just booked at TT for the end of May. Staying at beech cabin.

Reply to: Moose Sightings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pittsburg
Recent Conversations