We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

red rock canyon

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chesterfeild
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
red rock canyon

hi

is this worth a drive? and is it nearer or better than the grand canyon?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: red rock canyon

It's a 30 minute drive from the Strip. A nice diversion from all the craziness for an hour or two. Grand Canyon is 4-5 hours away.

Without wishing to be rude, comparing it to GC is just a little silly! In soccer terms, it's like asking if a high school game is better than the English Premier League....... :-)

Edited: 01 August 2013, 19:57
chesterfeild
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: red rock canyon

fair enough i get you

both seem nice

i would like to see the grand canyon but it is an awful long way

is hoover dam worth a trip?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: red rock canyon

Grand Canyon is worth a trip in my opinion. We drove from Vegas to the south rim in 4.5 hours. The Hoover dam is worth a trip also; we hit it on the drive back from the Grand Canyon.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: red rock canyon

If you have the time, all 3 are worth a visit IMO. Yes, Grand Canyon South Rim is 4.5 hrs drive each way, but worth every minute to see one of the wonders of the world. Red Rock is a short drive away, but well worth a half day, plenty of great pics. Hoover dam is a terrific piece of engineering and Incredible to see close up, take the DAM TOUR! :)

UK
Level Contributor
219 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: red rock canyon

I can't compare it to the GC and have not visited the GC but Red Rock is fab. I am in photography though so it offered some great shots and was nice break from the strip.

When you visit there's a loop road that goes round the whole canyon. So it's up to you how long you want to stay at the view points and if you want to go for a few walks.

I personally wasn't fussed on hoover dam, my partner liked it more then me and it's usually the other way round. If you're driving past it's worth a look certainly but the tours fill up quickly so you could be waiting around especially if you want to do the longer tour.

We did Red Rock and Vally of Fire in the same day and really enjoyed it. Left early probably 9am'ish and stayed to sunset in VoF. We took our time with taking pics but never ventured too far off the paths, it was also 111 degrees at one point in the day. We stocked up on water and snacks from CVS before hand, which I would recommend doing.

6. Re: red rock canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 21:12
chesterfeild
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: red rock canyon

we are there 1 week and yes i like the look of red rock canyon and the valley of fire and im mad on photography and great scenery so you can do both in one day?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: red rock canyon

Yes, you can easily do both in the same day.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: red rock canyon

If you do go out to Red Rock Canyon, which I recommend, then pop into the RR hotel too, its huge and lovely inside and I won on slots within minutes.

As previously mentioned you enter the RRC park, pay at the ranger station and drive a 13 mile one way loop with view points and stop off's. Public facilities are available along the route, however in +100 degree's, they were a bit stinky poops. Enjoy

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
28 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: red rock canyon

I have been to both Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire numerous times as I really enjoy the desert. I would suggest that you go to the Valley of Fire, whcih is about an hour from Vegas.The rock formations are more dramatic and colorful.