We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from las vegas to l.a.

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hayling Island...
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Topic
driving from las vegas to l.a.

two weeks booked at vegas early sept-thinking of hiring a car and driving to la and stopping over two nights to have a look at long beach etc-whats the drive like and where do you recommend to stop at-long beach one night los angeles the other? many thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,511 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from las vegas to l.a.

Why Long Beach? What do you plan on doing there?

If you are looking for a beach area Long Beach isnt it. As for LA it is a sprawling metropolitan area so perhaps you can give an idea of what you plan to do. It would be silly to recommend a the W Hollywood if all you want to do is hit the beach in Santa Monica.

Anyway to answer your question as long as you time it right meaning dont leave at the wrong time so you hit traffic, it is about a 4 hour drive to Long BEach (if you must go there) if you dont stop along the way.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 08:13
Burbank
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from las vegas to l.a.

About 5 hours to Long Beach. Avoid making the drive on a Sunday.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,511 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from las vegas to l.a.

You dont need to avoid making the drive on a Sunday, I leave LAs VEgas on a Sunday probably 6-10 times a year, you just need to pay attention to what time you leave Las Vegas on a Sunday. If you leave by 9am on most Sundays you wont hit any traffic, after that all bets are off.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from las vegas to l.a.

Hi

Just book your car from the UK before you. Use a 3rd party such as ebookers or netflights. You will then get all ins paid up front, so no hard expensive sell at the desk.

Drive to LA is easy, but quite a fast road, so be prepared for that. The nearer to LA the busier the roads get.

We have stayed at Redondo beach area, which is nice and you can visit the main attractions from there. We did Hollywood, Farmers market, La Brea and Griffith park and also went to Long Beach to visit the Queen Mary. One advantage of staying in this area is alot of the hotels there have free parking,not so in Hollywood or Santa Monica areas.

Clive

Hayling Island...
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from las vegas to l.a.

thanks guys only mentioned long beach cos i thought it was somewhere worth visiting-would be setting off early morning 7am -spending two nights out and want to see the best sights around there thought hollywood etc.thanks clive i,ll have a look at the redondo beach area.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 08:42
San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,511 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from las vegas to l.a.

Unless you plan of touring the Queen Mary or the Long Beach Aquarium or driving thru the neighborhood where Snoop Dogg grew up skip Long Beach, there is nothing that you really would want to see and do there.

Its also just one city away from Los Angeles and it really part of Metropolitan LA anyway so I certainly dont think you need to stay there and thne somewhere else.

If you want to break it up stay in Orange County (Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach) or San Diego and then the LA area.

Hayling Island...
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from las vegas to l.a.

i,ll check them out- anywhere worth stopping off on the drive to l.a. for a nosy ?-i,ll give long beach a miss then !!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,511 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from las vegas to l.a.

I have no clue what a "nosy" is.

I personally do not stop and dont think there is anything worth while to stop for. Some do like to see things like Calico Ghost town or the Roller Coaster in Primm, which in hundreds of trips I have done both exactly once, so I guess at some point I thought they were interesting enough to stop at.

There are also Outlet malls in Primm, Barstow and Ontario and a lot of desert if that is your thing.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 08:53
Hayling Island...
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from las vegas to l.a.

just means a look-thanks for the info goodbeer much appreciated .

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from las vegas to l.a.

We drove to LA for a night on our trip year before last. We left Vegas early in the am, stopped a couple places along the way for a quick bathroom break or to get a soft drink. I had reservations at The Georgian in Santa Monica (very nice, old school hotel right on the coast). We checked in and walked straight to Santa Monica Pier. Happened to get there at just the right time and caught the double decker hop on-hop off tour bus. Saw LA, Beverly Hills (including Rodeo Drive) and Hollywood all in that afternoon. Not "in depth" mind you, but a great tour. Got back to the Pier about dark. Stayed the night, breakfast the next am at the hotel and back to Vegas.

Sounds like a whirlwind trip, and I guess it was, but it was wonderful.