We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

las vegas

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Topic
las vegas

hi, we are looking at at a week in april for 2 adults, 1 kid of 5 yrs. there is many hotels to choose from, but do you think i am making a right decision in taking a child. it is my 40th birthday and i have always wanted to see the sights and to say i have been. i am not a gambler . how far is grand canyon and where is there to stay. also california, is it possible to get there too.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: las vegas

Seriously all these questions are pretty much answered on the home page...

Also use the search function for specifics.

If you are looking for advice specific to your situation you will need to be more specific too.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k3523330…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143028-i157-k3050…

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: las vegas

Sheesh...I wish people would just answer people or move along!

So many places to stay..depends on budget. Myself, I'm not a fan of taking kids to Vegas (including my own). There are many things to see and do but I guess it really depends on if you are looking for a family vacation or a 40th celebration. Good luck with your planning and check out the top couple of informative topics. The most important one of things to do with your kids in Vegas. Vegas is exhausting for an adult...I'd hate to be 5 there. ; )

Boston
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: las vegas

" hi, we are looking at at a week in april for 2 adults, 1 kid of 5 yrs. there is many hotels to choose from, but do you think i am making a right decision in taking a child. it is my 40th birthday and i have always wanted to see the sights and to say i have been. i am not a gambler . how far is grand canyon and where is there to stay. also california, is it possible to get there too."

I personally think if done right LV can be a wonderful trip for a family, there are limitations as to what you can and cannot do but overall if you plan the trip out knowing that your going to be limited then you should be ok.

There are a few Hotels that do cater to families better then others such as the Excalibur being one of them.

Its possible to get to both the GC and California but not that simple as to say yes. California is a huge state so where would you be going? The GC has a number of areas that tourist can go to so a little help as to what part of the canyon it is that you would like to see. You are going to have to rent a car I would assume?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: las vegas

Hi,

I went to Vegas as part of my 40th a few years ago. Fantastic trip, with Vegas being the highlight - wish we'd spent more than four nights (finally going back in a couple of months though :)

Depends what you're into (appreciate you've already said you're not a gambler), but you'd miss out on much of the food, drink and show options with a 5 year old in tow. Plus, it's Vegas, so you really should have a bit of a dabble on the slots or the table games ;)

Grand Canyon is a long (6hours I think) drive away. There are options to fly, but it's still a long day trip. Shorter helicopter trips to the 'west rim' are available, but that's not the 'real' Grand Canyon (you want the South Rim for that).

The first two thirds of our trip was San Francisco -> Yosemite -> Death Valley -> Las Vegas. We did that in about 12 days. If you've only got a week, I'd suggest basing yourself in Vegas and maybe doing a couple of day trips. Of course there's the option of flying to California - very short flights to SF and LA.

Hope that helps a bit.

Pete

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: las vegas

I answered?

Also asked for some more info and gave her two informative links.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: las vegas

Pengoodwin, for future reference you'll get better results if you ask specific questions separately rather than grouping them together in one post.

And (importantly) use titles that are relevant to the questions you're asking rather than something generic and vague like you have here. That way those best qualified to offer help and advice will make the effort to check out what you're asking about.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,167 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: las vegas

Here is my opinion, but it was posted in answer to another question so you probably missed it. It's really pretty simple. If you drag your child on your vacation it will probably not have a good time most of the time. It is also debatable whether you really will. I suppose that depends on what type of person you are. But we have always found that when our kids are unhappy, so were we. But if you make the trip about your child, Las Vegas can be a fun place for a family vacation.

"I have never seen a child in Las Vegas that looked like they were having a good time."

Maybe that's because you are not looking in the right places. You are probably seeing them on the Strip or Downtown. Try looking at Orleans or South Point or probably GVR or Red Rock.

On the Strip or Downtown you find many (not all) kids whose parents brought them along on THEIR VACATION. At places like Orleans you find parents who are having a FAMILY VACATION. Both the parents and kids act differently here. Don't take my word for it, spend a couple of nights in the summer at Orleans and see if you notice the difference.

8. Re: las vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2012, 18:17