We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Vegas fact

Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Vegas fact

I admit I have a thirst for knowledge and was super impressed with the amount of facts the tour chap in the lift taking us to the top of the Eiffel tower supplied us with! One of my favourites being that about 20 million gallons of water is used in the Bellagio fountains and replenished annually! What's your best Vegas fact to share with me?

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
45,438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Vegas fact

The Strip is not in the city of Las Vegas.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Vegas fact

The picture on the card never looks like the girl who shows up.

Texas
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Vegas fact

Shrimp! Vegas consumes more shrimp each day than the rest of the United States combined!

Vista, California
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Vegas fact

Las Vegas schools' state rank 49th in the country according to US New & World Report.

But at least there's no state income tax.

Edited: 09 July 2017, 04:10
Vista, California
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Vegas fact

Clarification: That actually should be Nevada ranks 49th in states. I'm sure LV contributes, being by far the most populous city in the state, contributes greatly to this number.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Vegas fact

The only way you'll leave Las Vegas with a small fortune is if you arrive with a large one.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Vegas fact

With the rise of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media, what happens in Vegas very rarely stays in Vegas these days.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Vegas fact

The above shrimp statement is one of those urban legends that has lit up the Internet. I'm guessing it got started when someone confused per capita consumption with total consumption. A quick Google search will show a number of reliable sources putting annual shrimp consumption in the United States at around four pounds per person. That comes to nearly 1.3 billion pounds per year, or about 3.5 million pounds per day -- dwarfing the amount eaten in Las Vegas.

It would be interesting to know if the per capita consumption is indeed higher in Las Vegas than anywhere else. Does anyone know of a good source for that statement?

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Vegas fact

The 1/2 scale replica of the Eiffel Tower outside the Paris hotel in Las Vegas was originally planned as full size, but had to be shrunk due to the nearby airport.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Vegas fact

Before 2007, Los Vegas had more gaming revenue that Macao (see Wikipedia for sources). Seven years later, Macao's revenue (about $45 billion) was seven times as large as #2 Las Vegas ($6.5 billion) . See …cnn.com/2014/…index.html . I wonder what it was in 2016.