We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotsbluff to Denver best road to take

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
163 reviews
Scotsbluff to Denver best road to take

Hi, we're driving from Scotsbluff to Denver and was looking for some advice on the best route to take to avoid tolls as we will be in a hire car and last year we were fleeced for a $100 administration charge by the rental company for a 60 cent toll as it was a cashless/un-manned toll that we accidentally went through. Thanks in advance.

2 replies to this topic
Grand Island...
Level Contributor
176 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Scotsbluff to Denver best road to take

There are no toll roads in Nebraska, but possible in Colorado closer to Denver. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can add to this!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,574 posts
269 reviews
2. Re: Scotsbluff to Denver best road to take

There are only 2 types of toll roads in CO. One is Express Lanes. You would not be on those - they are used by folks who want to bypass the heavy traffic by paying extra money to use a specific lane on the far left side of the road, usually limited to rush hour traffic. The one you will need to watch out for is the toll road called E470. It runs on the east side of Denver and you may find it as a road on the way to the Denver International Airport.

E470 is clearly marked with signs that warn you that you are going to be going onto a toll road. Use your map or gps to avoid it. On my gps I just mark to avoid toll roads and it automatically avoids them.

I was in Scottsbluff in March and it was nice and windy - but nice nonetheless. When I left there heading to Denver I made the mistake of driving I-25 and it was a nightmare. Too much traffic. So I would advise you to avoid I-25 and take this route - https://goo.gl/7dPsxd (Google maps shortened url). It is much easier driving. In case it doesn't come up you go down through a portion of WY (Burns has a few restaurants) and then south to CO at Hereford.

Hope you enjoy Nebraska, I did. I hope to return one day for more sight seeing.

Reply to: Scotsbluff to Denver best road to take
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Scottsbluff