We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suv or regular car?

Which West Yellowstone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
4 posts
Save Topic
suv or regular car?

visitng yellowstone in september 2013and i was wondering if it is advisable to rent an SUV or would a regular car do?

fly in to Denver then head for custer, YNP,GTNP, SLC then monument valley. any advice on car rental, things to see/do would be much appreciated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,132 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suv or regular car?

SUV gives a bit better visibility but have done a regular car several times as well for YNP/GTNP. Certainly hope you are not driving your rental car on the dirt roads in Monument Valley- it would be a violation of most rental car contracts. Do one of the tours for sure in Monument Valley.

For the Black Hills of SD- looks at this link to the online travel guide- lots of great info and a map- Badlands NP, Custer SP, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Deadwood. On way to YNP stop at Devils Tower and possibly Cody which has world class musuems-

www.travelsd.com

Click on Black Hills.

Yellowstone National Park is huge and there is much to see and do- be sure to have reservations here- either in park or in adjacent towns- link here for great info-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin…

Here is a map with some of the most popular places to visit in YNP-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

Be sure to also stop in Jackson Hole which is south of the GTNP.

In Monument Valley you have the choice of staying either at Goudlings Lodge or The View Lodge or down the road there is a nice Hampton Inn on the Arizona side. I strongly suggest taking a tour. The guides are very good and the roads not paved.

There are another couple of places you might think about visiting if never been. You could do both of these before you head to Denver. One is Arches NP. This is a beautiful park which can be done in a full day unless you want to do hiking there. It is north of Monument Valley in Utah. The other place is the Rocky Mt. NP which is just north of Denver. The Peak to Peak Hwy and Trail Ridge drive offer beautiful mountain scenery in September with the golden color of the Aspen trees.

Please post on the YNP forum in Wyoming if you have other questions about YNP.

Of course your entire plan is dependent on the amount of time you have for your trip- here are some suggestions for time frame-

Black Hills- 2-3 days

YNP- 3-4 days

GTNP- 1-2 days

SLC- 1 day

MV- 1 day

You must allow time for travel which I did not calculate.

Good luck!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suv or regular car?

There is no need for 4wd/awd. Some people like a suv for the visibility. But a regular car is more secure with a trunk to lock your valuables and luggage in than a suv.

Scotland
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: suv or regular car?

thanks very much for taking the time to reply PeachBelle. i appreciate your suggestions and sure will consider them although think we will now need a month!

Scotland
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: suv or regular car?

thanks ystoner. appreciate your suggestions

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suv or regular car?

I have never traveled to the areas you inquire about in anything other than a regular car. With the fuel prices what they are these days, that is going to be another factor to consider with the distances you intend to travel. Cars get much better gas mileage in most cases than SUVs.

Scotland
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: suv or regular car?

thanks for your input Adventuritis. this was one of the reasons i was considering when trying to decide on SUV v reg rental!

7. Re: suv or regular car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 18:15