We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for my Yellowstone itinerary

Which West Yellowstone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shelby County, AL
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for my Yellowstone itinerary

Yellowstonefan (or anyone) else.

My wife and are going to arrive in Jackson on Saturday Sept 8 & leave Saturday Sept 15. I don't have a full appreciation for the distance etc., . How about a suggested itenerary (daily) for us to maximize our visit?

I'd like to take her on a scenic float trip & maybe to a chuck-wagon cook out. Other than that, we're open with scome reservations that we can change. So..... our agenda is yours!!!!

I really do appreciate the service and information that you provide. Your posts are very interesting and informative.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for my Yellowstone itinerary

September 8: Arrive in Jackson; drive the western route to Jenny Lake. Take the boat shuttle across Jenny Lake & hike up to Hidden Falls, Inspiration Point, or (if you want a longer hike) Cascade Canyon. Spend the night @ Signal Mountain Lodge or Jackson Lake Lodge?

September 9: Drive up to Yellowstone; Head toward Yellowstone Lake and then Hayden Valley. Wildlife viewing is great! Then continue up to Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Check out the overlooks along the rims. Walk down to the Brink of the Upper & Lower Falls as well as the Uncle Tom's Trail. Spend the night @ Canyon Village

September 10: Drive west to Norris Geyser Basin & explore that area. Take the Virginia Cascade Road and then, near Madison take the Firehole Canyon Drive. Continue west out of the park & explore what West Yellowstone has to offer. Perhaps stay at the Diamond P Ranch? It has chuck wagon dinners and horseback riding. A ride and dinner is $60.

September 11: Head back to Norris then up to Mammoth Hot Springs. Explore that area then head to Tower. Check out Wraith and Undine Falls, the Petrified Tree, and Tower Fall. Spend night @ Roosevelt Lodge?

September 12: Drive east and explore Lamar Valley. Then head south past Mount Washburn (hiking opportunity to top of Mt. Washburn) Once you get to Canyon, you've seen it all, so head west to Norris, over to Madison, and south to Lower and Midway Geyser Basins. Check out Fountain Paint Pot, Firehole Lake Drive, and take a hike to Fairy Falls. Spend night @ Old Faithful Lodge?

September 13: If you didn't hike to Fairy Falls the day before, do that first. Then explore the Old Faithful area and Upper Geyser Basin. Then exit the park and stay @ Signal Mountain Lodge or Jackson Lake Lodge

September 14: Float trip down the Snake River in Grand Teton NP!!! Spend night where you did September 13 or in Jackson

September 15: Whatever you can before you fly out

I think this itinerary might work out well for you. Hope this helps!

Sean

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for my Yellowstone itinerary

I think that Sean (the previous poster) did a great job of creating an itinerary for you. A couple of things to note - the best water for floating in September will probably be out of Jackson, WY (the Snake). Also, the trails to the Upper Falls and Artist's Point at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone will close after July 9th this year for construction (thru the end of the year).

One question that I have is - what do you like to do? What are your favorite things - fishing, hiking, photography, movies, sunsets,geology, wildlife? Are you early birds or prefer to sleep in? Not to be personal, but you can take Sean's itinerary and customize it to the things you really like to get the most out of Yellowstone.

For example, if you really like wildlife, I would reserve a room overnight in West Yellowstone for the night of September 10th and spend my evening along the Madison River (just in from West Yellowstone) watching the elk and bison along those fields. The mating season for elk could be starting. Even if it isn't, the elk will start to congregate in the fields along those rivers at night.

If you like learning, science, and geology, I would definitely fit in a visit to the Canyon Visitor's Center. It is interesting to anyone of any age.

A little romance? There are some great spots along Yellowstone Lake to sit on a bench and watch the sun go down.

That is the neat part of Yellowstone...it really does have something for almost everyone!

California
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for my Yellowstone itinerary

Yellowstone and other Yellowstone experts,

I read your help for AlProf and was wondering if you would recommend the same thing in late July/early Aug. We are taking a trip with our 2 girls - my oldest goes away to college next year which is why we have to do this at that time. The girls will be almost 18 and 15 by then. Not sure what the weather is there at that time - we like hikes and drives. The scenic float and the chuck-wagon cookout sounded great.

Also, I heard Old Faithful Inn is a must and that Lake Yellowstone Lodge is good but there seems to be several Lake Yellowstone Lodges and not sure which one is good. Looking for something clean, with a nice and memorable view. Is there a central place you would recommend staying in and doing the rest on day trips?

My husband went there as a kid and has wonderful memories - my girls and I have never been and I would like to make this another great family trip.

Alprof, I hope you don't mind my tagging on your post.

Thanks,

europe06

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for my Yellowstone itinerary

The Lake Yellowstone Hotel is the nice one. The Lake Yellowstone Lodge is more to my liking. More rustic and has cabins. The hotel has the better restaurant.

Canyon offers a a good location. You can easily go north towards Mt Washburn or south to Hayden Valley.

We went on the Cowboy Cookout and I thought it was OK. My wife says we're going next year too so maybe it was better than that. We stayed at the Roosevelt Lodge for that.

You might consider splitting your trip between Canyon and Roosevelt. With that said, reservations will be difficult and you may have to keep what you have. Also, be sure to check the NPS website to see the closing schedules.

We were there for 7 days in June. If you'd like to read about what we did and see the pictures, you can check

www.AlandSueJohnson.com

There's a Yellowstone link in the top menu. From there pick 2007 for a trip similar to yours.

For what its worth, you should ask your own questions separately rather than tagging on. It gets more attention on your question. I could also see your question (instead of the original) while typing this.

We didn't do float trips either time. Probably should some time.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
594 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for my Yellowstone itinerary

I just returned from a fabulous 12 day trip from SD to WY and we stayed at the Yellowstone Lake Hotel and loved it. We stayed in the hotel and not the cabins. There are no televisions in the room. The room we had overlooked the lake and we were also on the first floor. Room was huge with 2 double beds and a nice bathroom with all amenities including your own robes! The restaurant was excellent as well as breakfast in the morning.

It is the oldest hotel in Yellowstone Park and highly recommend staying there. The lake is beautiful and great for photo's. Of course, while we were there, the next morning there was a fire from the east side and you can see it from the hotel.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,973 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for my Yellowstone itinerary

I would spend at least 2 nights in the Tetons/Jackson area. Lots to see and do and less people! Enjoy