We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First-timers seeking recommendations for late July trip

Neptune City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
First-timers seeking recommendations for late July trip

My girlfriend and I are staying in a cabin in Kila, MT from 7/23-7/27. We are driving up from SLC, and we'll have an all-wheel drive car.

About us: Mid-20s, active, want to be outside as much as possible, love good food and drinks

What we'd like to do:

- Rent a motorboat one day for the purpose of cruising Flathead Lake, and possibly check out Wild Horse Island

- A day of rafting

- Cherry picking

- Explore local markets for home-cooked meals and visit local restaurants (Kalispell Brewery is already on the list)

- Dog friendly hikes/activities. Our labradoodle is coming for the trip. She's very active and loves swimming. She'll stay behind on boating/rafting days (we may put her in doggy day camp those days), but we'd love an activity to bring her along, especially if swimming is allowed.

- Check out Glacier National Park. We'd love to drive Going-to-the-sun Road. Not sure if this is feasible or worth it for a day trip coming from Kila. Although, we are bringing a tent and are open to extending the stay two or three nights. The camping area would need to be dog-friendly.

We'd like to keep these activities under $800-$1000, which seems do-able.

All tips and recommendations for outfitters, locations, can't miss spots, and additional activities are much appreciated. We're stoked for this trip.

Edited: 03 July 2016, 09:35
1 reply
Level Contributor
69 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First-timers seeking recommendations for late July trip

In Kalispell go to Moose's bar for pizza. It's a local dive with the best pizza you'll ever taste. You'll have to order your own pizza from the kitchen and your own drinks at the bar, but it's worth it. Take a pocket knife with you to carve your names into the table or wall.

I hope you're planning on rafting near Glacier National Park, that offers the best views and the best water.

There are many, many lakes throughout the valley and your dog is free to jump into any one of them. I suggest driving the Swan Highway and stopping at a lake along that route.

Wherever you go hiking, keep your dog on a leash. Bears and mountain lions are prevalent.

Reply to: First-timers seeking recommendations for late July trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kalispell
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question