We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NEED help-What is there to do at Christmas time in St. Louis

CA
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
NEED help-What is there to do at Christmas time in St. Louis

We will be in St. Louis for four days over Christmas. (around the 23rd till the 27th)I will be bringing several young adults in their early and mid 20's. Does anyone have suggestions of fun activities and sites that would entertain them??

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NEED help-What is there to do at Christmas time in St. Louis

A couple of thoughts:

They would probably enjoy the City Museum at night. It's open until 1 AM on Friday and Saturday nigths. I'm guessing there will be a lot of Christmas lights to see from the upper floors.

There are three large light displays that are fun for families (not just little ones):

Tilles Park in Brentwood (Ladue?)

Our Lady of the Snows in Belleville

Magical Kingdom in Eureka

Depending on the weather: Main Street St. Charles should be festive or you could do a carriage ride in Tower Grove Park.

Don't count on snow, but if you're lucky and there is enough snow, head to Art Hill in Forest Park for sledding.

It would be a great time to see the Cathedral Basilica or the Old Cathedral by the Arch. Of course, the Arch would probably be neat after dark with Downtown Christmas lights below.

CA
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NEED help-What is there to do at Christmas time in St. Louis

Thanks! I was looking thru other posts and see Ice Skating at Steinberg Rink. Would that be fun for 20 somethings or is that not really a good and fun area? Also I see the Anheuser Busch Tour. I'm not sure they would be open Dec 26th or if it's good to do in the winter. What about Union Station? Thanks.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NEED help-What is there to do at Christmas time in St. Louis

The Steinberg rink is definitely a good call - a good neighborhood - very close to the Central West End.

That reminds me of a couple of other options: Pin-Up Bowl (Delmar Loop) and Flamingo Bowl (Downtown). These are new bowling alleys designed for 20-somethings. Another notorious bowling alley is Saratoga Lanes in Maplewood. It is very old, and a rarity - an upstairs bowling alley.

Union Station was great 15 years ago. Now I would describe it a a big food court and some souvenir shops. About half of it was closed for some sort or "redevelopment" last time I went a couple of months ago.

There is a new park downtown called the City Garden that I've heard is very cool. It should be interesting to see how they dress it up for Christmas.

Your group will probably appreciate the nostalgia of Crown Candy Kitchen - an all-original candy store and ice cream shop on the near north side. Good lunch menu, too. Make sure and go during daylight hours and prepare to wait for a table (even in the winter).

The Delmar Loop is an area that would appeal to 20-somethings. Besides Pin-up bowl, there is Vintage Vinyl, a haven for lovers of obscure music, and Blueberry Hill, with it's kischy collections and star photos. Also on Delmar is the St. Louis Walk of Fame (similar to Hollywood, includes only people who once lived in St. Louis. Pi is a great pizza restaurant that is sure to be a hit (1-2 hour waits are not uncommon at night, we walked right in on a Thursday afternoon around 1).

A Blues Hockey game would be fun - they draw big, boisterous crowds.

The Anheuser-Busch tours would almost certainly be operating over the holidays.

4. Re: NEED help-What is there to do at Christmas time in St. Louis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 17:19