We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Seasons vs. Ritz Carlton July 30-Aug 1st

Indy
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Four Seasons vs. Ritz Carlton July 30-Aug 1st

We are definitely coming to St. Louis for our 10 year anniversary. I have narrowed down the hotel to Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. I'm not sure which one would be best for us. I would like to stay within walking or short drive to restaurants, shops and sites. We want a plush nice hotel with spa services. The Ritz is a better price but how does it compare to Four Seasons? Thanks for any advice.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Seasons vs. Ritz Carlton July 30-Aug 1st

Although the Ritz is an excellent hotel, it will be very inconvenient to tourist attractions since I-64 is closed (between 170 and Kingshighway. That's probably why it's cheaper.

For restaurants, it's a draw. The Four Season is not at all convenient to shops. The restaurants of Lumiere Place are all right there and they are all very good, but pricey. There are also a couple of decent restaurants on Laclede's Landing - The Drunken Fish and...okay, maybe just one. Plenty of good dining downtown, a short drive away. Same with the Ritz, though, several very good restaurants within a few blocks in downtown Clayton.

What kind of shops are you looking for? I've tried to think of a great shopping area and all I come up with are malls - Galleria and West County being the best. For antiques, there's Cherokee Street (plus a couple of fun retro/resale shops). For crafts, unique gifts and antiques, there's Main Street St. Charles. The Ritz is more conveniet to all of these except Cherokee Street.

Both are plush, both has spa services.

What other questions do you have?

Indy
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Seasons vs. Ritz Carlton July 30-Aug 1st

Thanks for the reply. So if we stat at The Ritz does that mean we won't be able to go downtown? or it would be very inconvenient? Is downtown where the Arch is? I am looking for a restaurant for our anniversary dinner. We like all types of food and i would like something that is local and not a chain. Nothing fancy, just good food. I stayed at The Ritz about 13 years ago and remember it was in a neighborhood but lovely. Is that right? I'm a little overwhelmed with the decision. My hubby has never been to St. Louis. We would like a room with a view of something. I believe both hotels offer a view. As far as shops, we like shops we wouldn't see at home. Maybe art galleries or boutiques would better suit our tastes. I always like to buy something that reminds me of the trip.

STL
Level Contributor
422 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Seasons vs. Ritz Carlton July 30-Aug 1st

I have to agree there's not much in the way of shopping downtown.

Ladue is a municipality next to Clayton, and has a number of botiques: www.shopladue.com/

You certainly can get to downtown from Clayton; there just wouldn't be a straight shot down a highway like normal. Just take Forsyth to Big Bend to Forest Park Parkway to Kingshighway where you can get on I-64. (Google Maps www.maps.google.com takes the highway closure into consideration when giving directions, FYI).

The Ritz is just steps from one of my favorite area restaurants, Luciano's Trattoria.

www.lucianostrattoria.com

Clayton is convienent to Forest Park and the Delmar Loop.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Seasons vs. Ritz Carlton July 30-Aug 1st

I'm leaning toward the Ritz now, based on your response, although I think you can't go wrong either way. The best gallery/boutique type shops wlll be in the Central West End, Clayton and Ladue. You might also enjoy exploring downtown Kirkwood.

Nice restaurants near the Ritz:

Luciano's (as Rt66 suggested)

The Crossing

Portobello's

Araka

Cardwell's

Miso (Japanese / sushi)

For a very unique dining experience, try Winslow's Home in U. City.

The Ritz is right next to downtown Clayton.

For a great date, try LaFayette Square. I like 1111 Mississippi, Ricardo's and Vin De Set (great patio/view). For after dinner, visit 33 Wine Bar, Bailey's Chocolate Bar or Square One Brewery, depending on your taste.

Another anniversary treat would be a carriage ride in Tower Grove Park.

Other questions?

Indy
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Seasons vs. Ritz Carlton July 30-Aug 1st

Thanks for all of the responses. You guys are awesome! I too believe the Ritz is best for us. I'll browse the restaurant info tonight. Again, thanks so much!

Indy
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Seasons vs. Ritz Carlton July 30-Aug 1st

I called the Ritz and they do not have a spa. They do have a room to schedule a massage though. Now I'm looking at the Moonrise Hotel. Any input on it's location, etc?

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four Seasons vs. Ritz Carlton July 30-Aug 1st

Does the Moonrise have a spa?? I wouldn't think so. There are spas very close to the Ritz - maybe 3 or 4 blocks, but more like a "ladies day out" type of spa and not couples massage...I could be wrong.

The Moonrise looks like a neat hotel from the outside and there are a couple of good restaurants nearby (Pi and Racanelli's), but they are not "fine dining". The shops and most restaurants in that area are more along the trendy/college type places. Art? No, although Blueberry Hill does have a nice Simpsons toy collection. Employees at these establishment would generally have tattoos and piercings. Are you getting the picture? It's a fun place for the right people, but doesn't in any way compare to the Ritz.

I think I have the answer...

Have you considered one of the B&B's? From what I've read, they are super nice and a great place for a couples getaway. They even offer spa treatments on-site. Check out this site:

http://www.thefleurdelys.com/

8. Re: Four Seasons vs. Ritz Carlton July 30-Aug 1st

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 00:18