We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Weekend Trip Report

K P
Illinois
Level Contributor
658 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Weekend Trip Report

Left Friday afternoon and headed to Alton. Decided to go a day early and stay at the Holiday Inn. Nice, clean small holidome. Rate included breakfast. After check in - refreshed and headed to Fast Eddies. Great place to kick back and relax after a hectic week. Had a few drinks and dinner - 2 cheeseburgers, 1 FF for $3.23! Headed back to hotel fairly early to get a good start on St. Louis and the game Sat evening. Enjoyed the hotel's breakfast buffet and headed into the city around 10:00.

Booked through Hotwire and ended up with the Marriott at Union Station for $69. Called the hotel that morning to ask if early check in was possible, but couldn't due to full house the night before. After doing some research, decided to head to Delmar Loop (one area of Stl we had not been to). After an interesting ride, courtesy of Garmin, we arrived around 11:30. Strolled around a bit and ended up at Blueberry Hill. We were really disapointed in both the area and the restaurant. The staff were very rude to everyone that came in and requested a table (we were at the bar). I don't know if they were short staffed or what but someone needs to be in charge and explain courtesy! We decided we'd seen enough and to head to Union Station and the hotel. Walked around a bit and decided to see if we could check in - quite a line, but we were able to go ahead and check in, which was great. Staff were exceptionally nice and helpful - check in was a breeze. Room was clean and nice, but needs updated. I am fairly certain that they are in the process of doing so. Cleaned up and headed to ballpark. Stopped at a couple of places along the way and just enjoyed walking around the area and park. Even though Cards lost, was still fun. Always enjoy a ballpark hotdog! Headed back to hotel after game. This would not have been my pick for location for going to a game, but the price was right! It was just too far away to justify walking down to Leclede's or anywhere in that direction.

Sunday morning got bagels/muffins from Union Station for breakfast and decided to head to St. Charles. Strolled the cobblestone streets and had lunch at Magpies. Delicious! Nice end to our weekend. After lunch, headed back to Illinois.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
991 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Weekend Trip Report

Thanks for your report. I used to work in Alton and have been to the Holiday Inn many times but not in ten years so it's nice to know it's still decent. Fast Eddies is great too!

A question about the Loop. What disappointed you?

Regarding the proximity of the hotel to sites: There is a metro stop right by the hotel that runs east to the ballpark and then onto Convention Plaza (close to Wash Ave) and then Laclede's Landing. Though depending how late you'll be out - the last train heading west (to return to Union Station) leaves at 12:10AM. You also could have taken the west bound train to the Loop. The station is right behind the Pageant.

K P
Illinois
Level Contributor
658 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Weekend Trip Report

As far as the Loop area - just didn't see much there. Didn't really see any place that we really wanted to go in to.

I know Metro is right there - we really like to walk. To me it just makes it more fun to be right in the thick of things if you know what I mean! That's the chance you take when you Hotwire anything.

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
870 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Weekend Trip Report

Glad you enjoyed Magpies! It is one of our absolute favorite places to go!

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Weekend Trip Report

Thanks for the report, especially the info about Blueberry Hill. They never have had any kind of training standards, so it's hit or miss for good service. Also it's good to have a reminder that the Delmar Loop isn't for everyone. My wife doesn't like going there at all, so we rarely go. It's good for those seeking out eclectic shops, people looking for a "college" type scene, teens or the art-house set.

Sounds like you liked the Union Station Marriott okay, except for the location. I rarely recommend it for that reason, same with the Sheraton. Both are fine hotels, but the immediate neighborhood is kind of sketchy.

I've never been to Magpies. I guess I'll have to check it out. It's been a few years since we've strolled around Main Street.

Again, really appreciate your input!

5. Re: Quick Weekend Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 17:32