We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the Arch

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the Arch

We will be stopping in St. Louis to visit the Arch in late August on our way to Arizona. I've read to go early to get my tickets. Is there anyplace in particular that is very close to the Arch to get a good, affordable breakfast or lunch? I have 2 teenagers who will only eat french toast, chicken type items, nothing fancy or exotic-they are rather picky unfortunatly. We will not be staying long, just a couple of hours to see arch, take some pictures & grab a bite to eat. Don't mind a short walk but we will want to be on our way quickly to make the rest of our drive.

Thank you for any suggestions.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the Arch

I understand Rooster is a good place for breakfast. I have not been there, so I can't tell you if it's exotic. Max & Erma's might be a good choice for all-american food cooked in a non-offensive way. It is about a half block from the arch on Market Street. If you walk toward the Old Courthouse, you'll see it on the left.

Another good choice for either breakfast or lunch would be Soda Fountain Square on Park Ave. To get there from the arch, follow the signs to 55 south/44 west. Follow 55/44 - follow the right lanes to 44 when it branches off - and exit on Jefferson Avenue. Turn right, then right on Park Ave (about 1/2 mile). The restaurant is maybe 4 blocks on the left.

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the Arch

We don't like Max & Erma's but we do like that style restaurant. Is there another restaruant that may be similar that's close? We will probaly walk towards the courthouse for a quick picture.

Sofa Fountain Square sounds intersting.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the Arch

Do you like TGI Friday's? There's one a couple blocks west of the Old Courthouse.

As for non-chain restaurants, Hannegan's on Laclede's Landing (north of the Arch) might be a good option. You could get a grilled chicken sandwich at Sundeckers, which also has a great deck. It's also north of the arch a couple of blocks. There is also an Old Spaghetti Factory on the Landing.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting the Arch

If you don't have a lot of time, there are some quick places along Pine St. I like Chili Mac's Diner. There is also a Jimmy John's, and a St Louis Bread Co.

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting the Arch

The Old Spaghetti House great place for lunch and very reasonable...A few blocks from Arch.

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting the Arch

Correction... Old Spaghetti Factory

Rated 89 out of 1016 restaurants in St Louis by TA

Check out a few of their many reviews....

7. Re: Visiting the Arch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 17:18