We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car break-ins

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
384 reviews
Save Topic
Car break-ins

Planning a visit to St. Louis, but this recent article in the St Louis Post-Dispatch summarizes my concerns about parking near the Arch and near City Museum. Would appreciate some local perspectives - what is going on? And if you were me (and had out of state plates on a brand new car), what would you do? Much appreciated. Here's the article: news/local/crime-and-courts/car-break-ins-are-so-bad-they-re-part-of/article_d539cbb5-ce9b-530a-9fa0-78e3dbdcbf1b.html

Mentioned in this post
City Museum
City Museum
5,803 Reviews
Saint Louis, MO
4 replies to this topic
USA
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car break-ins

The vast majority of City Museum visitors don't experience any such thing. But I know that's not a good answer and not likely to ease your concern. The article laid out what it is - a bunch of opportunists combined with a popular tourist destination and some pretty shoddy parking lots. S&H Parking and its shady, low-life proprietor Bill Bialczak, mentioned in the article, should be avoided. The parking lot doesn't even have electricity! People use it to save a few bucks and it's a bad idea.

In short, don't cheap out when parking at City Museum; pay for the monitored, secure, lit garage (http://www.stlouisautopark.com/) or use the secure lot directly adjacent to, and owned by, City Museum (inside the serpent fence). If I was headed downtown in general (like for an Arch visit) and not just City Museum, I'd also consider parking in the garage at 9th and Olive (above Culinaria Supermarket) and make the relatively short walk. The garages east of 12th St. are generally fine.

Again, I'm not telling you to not be concerned, because it sucks when a visitor's car is broken into. But just for perspective: I've been working and spending time downtown almost daily for 20 years and have parked in lots, garages, and at the street meters, and have never had the slightest issue. In this case, those surface lots that use the City Museum name but don't provide security are where people have the most problems. The fact that you're being cautious will help immensely.

Enjoy City Museum; it's one of the most unique places you'll ever visit.

Mentioned in this post
City Museum
City Museum
5,803 Reviews
Saint Louis, MO
Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car break-ins

Thanks, bprop!

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car break-ins

I know most out of town visitors come to downtown St. Louis fearing for their safety and property. But like bprop said it's about parking smart. I've worked downtown for 15+ years and have never had a problem.

The key is to avoid the cheapo lots with the horrible owners. Either park in the City Museum lots or the indoor St. Louis Auto Park at Delmar and 14th.

Mentioned in this post
City Museum
City Museum
5,803 Reviews
Saint Louis, MO
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car break-ins

I live downtown and I have never seen any cars damaged on Washington Ave, or in the vicinity, not to say that it hasn't happened or could happen. The break ins seem to occur mostly in the open lots out near the city Museum. The lots in question are across the street from the City Museum on Delmar Blvd, North of which is frankly not a great area and best avoided.

I recommend that you park in a closed lot downtown and walk over to the City Museum. The walk is short and not will you avoid the inflated parking prices near the museum, but you can also avoid the congestion around the museum itself.

Mentioned in this post
City Museum
City Museum
5,803 Reviews
Saint Louis, MO
Reply to: Car break-ins
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted