We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking the riverfront trail?

Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Walking the riverfront trail?

Thanks for the earlier photo area tips.

Have noticed an area called the Riverfront Trail that seems to have some unique photo ops at the beginning (at least from what I can tell on google maps). It seems like it is more of a biking trail than a walking one though. Don't think I would want to walk up the entire thing, but would I get run over if I tried to walk up a few miles?

3 replies to this topic
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking the riverfront trail?

It is a bike trail, but people walk or run on it all the time. some of the area can get dicey late in the day and at night, so go early or at least during the day.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking the riverfront trail?

A couple of better walks for photo ops with the Mississippi would be to walk across the Eads Bridge or head up to the Old Chain of Rocks bridge a few miles north of downtown (most people cross the river on I-270 and park on the Illinois side).

The best photo ops are right at the beginning of the river walk, as I recall.

Mentioned in this post
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States
Chain of Rocks Bridge
Chain of Rocks Bridge
138 Reviews
Saint Louis, MO
Illinois
Illinois
United States
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking the riverfront trail?

There have been a number of car break ins at the chain of rocks ridge parking lots, so I would be careful. For the record my wife and I bike the riverfront trail frequently and we have never had any trouble, but it is not the kind of place that people nervous about the city would feel comfortable unless you are with a group. During the day there are a lot of homeless people who live along the river, and at night it gets a lot of young people parking and drinking.

Edited: 04 October 2017, 06:16
Reply to: Walking the riverfront trail?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted