We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where else is worth seeing that is not too far away?

Denville, New Jersey
11 posts
Where else is worth seeing that is not too far away?

I am traveling to St. Louis from NJ with my husband and three daughters next June for a family event. Wondering if there was anywhere within a few hour drive that we should consider driving too to see since we have never been to this part of the country. Would then fly home from the new destination. Thanks in advance.

USA
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Where else is worth seeing that is not too far away?

If you want to fly out of the second destination, the options within 4.5 hrs and with regular air service off the top of my head are KC (4 hrs), Chicago (4.5 hrs), Memphis (4 hrs), Branson (4 hrs, fly out of Springfield SGF), Indianapolis (4 hrs), and Nashville (4.5 hrs). Very different destinations.

Personally I'd go through our Missouri Ozarks and the Ozark National Scenic Riverways (national park) to get to Branson and then either enjoy Branson for its kitsch or enjoy the outdoors on Table Rock Lake. But I realize that's more than just a few hours' drive.

Chicago is a destination into itself. Memphis and Nashville feel more Southern to me. So that leaves KC and Indianapolis, both of which I find fun places to visit.

What do you think?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
2. Re: Where else is worth seeing that is not too far away?

Everything. Seriously St. Louis is located withing a few hours of huge possibilities. I suggest that you sit down with a map and do some research, and if you have some specific questions maybe we could help you.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,869 posts
6,430 reviews
3. Re: Where else is worth seeing that is not too far away?

Just north of St. Louis is also the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library in Springfield.

Walt Disney designers were involved, so its sort of like Disney meets Abe Lincoln for some of the exhibits

Springfield is about a 90 minute drive.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Where else is worth seeing that is not too far away?

If you enjoy the outdoors, I recommend a day trip to Johnson's Shut-ins and Elephant Rocks. Stop by the Mercantile in Caledonia for an ice cream on the way back.

Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Where else is worth seeing that is not too far away?

I don't know how long your trip is or if you are planning on these already, but St. Louis itself is also a pretty great place to be with kids. The zoo, science museum, and art museum are all free. Our city museum is well priced compared to most other major cities. The botanical garden is one of the top rated in the world and reasonably priced, and has an interactive learning area that is kid friendly. As mentioned above, there are a lot of great places to visit within 4-5 hours as well, but there is still a lot to do in St Louis that's worth considering too.

6. Re: Where else is worth seeing that is not too far away?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2018, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Saint Louis