We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Experience for Chiefs Game

Lincoln
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Family Experience for Chiefs Game

I'm bringing my family to the Chiefs vs. Bills game on Thanksgiving weekend. Kids are 12 and 9. We've already decided to stay at Great Wolf Lodge on Sunday after the game because the price goes way down that night since it's the end of Thanksgiving weekend. Trying to figure out where to stay on Saturday before the game. Power and Light? One of the hotels next to Arrowhead? Leaning toward Drury Inn, but it's pretty high dollar that night. Thoughts?

3 replies to this topic
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,246 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Experience for Chiefs Game

I would stay in the area around I-435 and Metcalf in Overland Park. There are many things the kids might enjoy in that area and the hotels should be much more reasonable. For activities, look at Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead, Overland Park Arboretum and (25 miles south) Cedar Cove Feline Conservation Park.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
222 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Experience for Chiefs Game

Check out the motels at I-70 and Noland Rd. one exit from Arrowhead and about 3 exits the other way to Independence Center one of only 2 large indoor Malls still operating in the metro. There are about 5 big chain motels at that intersection. Be sure to buy your Arrowhead parking pass online in advance as it costs $60 at the gate.

Liberty, Missouri
Level Contributor
121 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Experience for Chiefs Game

Like a lot of things with travel, the best choice depends on what you value most: Location near the stadium? Nearby things to do with the kids? Price? Other convenience features?

The first thing is to decide whether you want to stay (sort of) next to the stadium the night before the game and walk to the game (long, but do-able). If that's your top priority, you probably have identified the best hotel. There are two others at that intersection, but they are pretty long in the tooth, and don't stay at either without checking reviews carefully. Note that if you stay close enough to walk, you will save the parking fee, which is not insignificant.

If you have decided you are going to drive to the stadium anyway, then your choices are broader. But also note: Before a Chiefs game, hotel pricing in the entire Kansas City metro area will be at a premium. I am not sure how much Great Wolf Lodge charges, but you might consider staying there the night before, too. That way, at least, you don't have to pack up, check out, and change hotels.

If you are going to change hotels and are going to be driving anyway, you might look at hotels at I-435 and Metcalf, farther south in Johnson County, I-35 and Shawnee Mission Parkway (Merriam), or north in Liberty (which is probably closer than the Johnson County hotels). You could also consider other hotels in the Kansas City, Kansas Legends and Kansas Speedway area, although note that some that use "Speedway" or "Legends" in their name are not actually in that development.

If you stay Downtown close to the Power and Light District, you can take the streetcar to a number of activities the kids should enjoy: Steamboat Arabia Museum, Union Station and its model train exhibit, Lego Land and Aquarium at Crown Center, among others. Of course, you can drive to those, too, if you want.

If you are going to drive anyway, you will have a wide selection and probably some will be more-or-less reasonably priced.

Good luck!

Reply to: Family Experience for Chiefs Game
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kansas City