We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in KC--Trip Report

PA
Level Contributor
320 posts
246 reviews
6 days in KC--Trip Report

We chose KC for our romantic getaway because it was an area we had not visited and we were interested in the Negro League Museum and trying some local food. We stayed in the Country Club area. Our plan was to have a low-key trip--no setting the alarm or rushing to cross items off a busy itinerary. This worked out perfectly for us. Here is my summary, in case someone else can benefit from what we learned and did.

Day One--Arrived in the late afternoon. Dinner at Jack Stack's in Country Club Plaza (loved it, especially the chicken wings), strolled around the shopping area (Apple Store!)

Day Two--Morning at the Steamship Arabia Museum (Amazing!), lunch at Garozzo's nearby (Wow!), afternoon at Negro League Museum (Great!). Since lunch was late and huge, we ended up buying snacks and wine from Trader Joe's to eat in our room at night.

Day Three--Drove to Abilene for Eisenhower Library (I'm trying to visit as many presidential museums as possible), lunch in Abilene (Amanda's). For dinner we stopped at a Gates on the Kansas side. The food was good, but the restaurant itself was run-down. We wanted to try a different Gates but never got a chance.

Day Four--Eggct for breakfast (Loved it), which was walking distance to the Toy and Miniature Museum (very fun). My plan was to go to W.W.I museum in the afternoon but it was closed for a special event. We ended up looking at the exhibits in Union Station instead (tricky because there was an event in the main hall that resulted in "detours"). We walked to the Crown Center (just a mall) hoping to peek at the Hallmark Exhibit but it was closed for the month (?). Union Station was interesting but didn't fill a whole afternoon. Fortunately this day was saved by a dinner at Pierpont's (Don't miss it).

Day Five--We went to a football game, which took up most of the day. Dinner at Arthur Bryant's. Far from elegant dining, but good food.

Day Six--Drove to Independence to see Truman Center (free entry with membership purchased at Eisenhower Center). Definitely worthwhile. Strolled around the tiny town of Independence and a late lunch at Court House Exchange (recommended) before beginning our trip home.

I'll be happy to answer any questions about our trip.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
262 reviews
1. Re: 6 days in KC--Trip Report

Thanks so much for the report!

Would you mind telling us more about Amanda's?

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
Level Contributor
628 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: 6 days in KC--Trip Report

Did you try to fit the Nelson Atkins art musuem in or is art not your thing? They have a great outdoor sculpture park and there are some decent exhibits inside the building.

PA
Level Contributor
320 posts
246 reviews
3. Re: 6 days in KC--Trip Report

We had considered going there but our free day was on Monday and they were closed. Thank you.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,812 posts
6,430 reviews
4. Re: 6 days in KC--Trip Report

Very nice KC trip report. I enjoyed reading about it. We liked our time in KC too Thanks for writing.

5. Re: 6 days in KC--Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2018, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Kansas City