We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which are scenic routes near by saint louis

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
which are scenic routes near by saint louis

i have been to winery one , are there any other

2 replies to this topic
USA
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: which are scenic routes near by saint louis

Hi Roshan,

One very enjoyable route is the Great River Road. Head north from St. Louis to Alton, IL, then head west along IL-100. The river bluff is on your right side and the Mississippi River is on your left.

There are several ways you can go from here. Personally, I like to cross the river using the [free] Brussels ferry past Grafton IL (it's the Illinois River at this point, which has intersected with the Mississippi). You will wind up in Calhoun County, IL - a very pretty, picturesque country of rolling farmland and orchards. Depending on the season, you can stop at one of dozens of local farms to buy peaches (best peaches in the world), apples, or pumpkins. Or stop at a roadside stand for apple butter or fruit jam.

From Calhoun County, you can either backtrack the way you came, or (my preferred method) take the Golden Eagle Ferry ($8 one way) across the Missouri River from Calhoun Co and back into St. Charles Co.

Of course you can do the whole thing in reverse, too.

There aren't a ton of scenic drives close to St. Louis but you did one and this is another. If you're willing to drive several hours one-way, there are some awesome, beautiful scenic byways and drives in the Missouri Ozarks.

Edited: 01 October 2017, 07:28
St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: which are scenic routes near by saint louis

Elephant Rocks and/or Johnson's Shut-ins make for a great scenice day trip. Two other points of interest on the way are Hughes Mountain and the Old Village Mercantile in Caledonia.

I assume the winery drive you speak of is Augusta? Another good one is the drive to the Ste. Genevieve wine trail. If you enjoy the outdoors, Hawn State Park and Pickle Springs Natural Area are scenic spots in that area. Kimmswick is also on the way and worth a stop.

On the Illinois side, we enjoy visiting Maeystown, stop in Waterloo for lunch or a beer at the brewery (there used to be two, but one had a fire and I'm not sure if it reopened. We also enjoy stopping in downtown Columbia. The Bluff Rd is a gorgeous drive starting by Columbia. Visit Fort De Chartres and Prairie Du Rocher.

Another fun day trip is up to Clarksville MO, which has a few artisan shops in its small downtown area. Lots of eagles in the winter months.

Reply to: which are scenic routes near by saint louis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Creve Coeur