We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth the trip ?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
Worth the trip ?

Branson is about 7-8 hrs from where we live and was thinking maybe to drive there around Labor day ( Fri to Mon) - We have never been and it looks like we would have two days , maybe like 2.5 total with the drive time. As we have never been any thoughts on weather it is worth the trip ? I know it is just others opinion however never being there we thought to ask if two days is good enough . I think the only thing for sure would be Silver Dollar City for us and find some places to eat and shop - Kind of picture this place like Gatlinburg TN but maybe not - thanks

Also we would be staying in Hollister MO at Paradise Point too

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
104 posts
220 reviews
1. Re: Worth the trip ?

Well, as someone who is getting ready to go myself for the first time, I feel that you get out of it what you want and expect.

From the reading of reviews and discussions, here is what you can expect from my opinions gathered from the above.

Traffic, is bad on the strip, its a given considering its a tourist location. Many suggestions include local maps and learning back routes around the city.

Visiting, depends on what you like to do. If you like shows, and entertainment you are set. We are taking a child with us, so no shows. But we are intending on enjoying the Titanic Museum, Ride the Ducks, the Ripley's Believe it or Not, and some shopping in the unique shops and the Landing, as well as trying many different types of foods.

We are doing it for a vacation. We intend to have fun and relax. I will share my personal experiences with you when we return, and you can make your own decision.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Worth the trip ?

Thanks - Look forward to it as we are trying to get a sense of if we only have a couple days is it worth even driving there or should be go when we have more time. It also sounds like our travel plans are the same as you describe above

Wichita, Kansas...
Level Contributor
222 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Worth the trip ?

I think Silver Dollar City would be great for 1 day because you can go somewhere, just be there not driving around trying to find your way in a new place (and that is harder than it sounds), and there is so much to do for all ages. We take grandkids of all ages and they all love it. And then we just went with another couple for 2 days and barely got everything done we wanted to do. You really need to take in one show while you are there because there are so many great ones. Ages of kids may determine which one and your likes. We just went on Friday, did Sight and Sound Joseph that night and came home Tuesday. So we had 3 full days and they were busy. Traffic wasn't bad yet so that was great. The first thing to do is get a map and study it! Use the colored roads and don't drive straight down the strip to get somewhere.

Branson, MO
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
4. Re: Worth the trip ?

As a resident of Branson, we frequently hear first-time visitors comment that 'we had no idea there was this much to do' or 'we didn't know there were lakes and it was so scenic'. Whatever your notion of what Branson is, we're probably going to exceed your expectations.

Come find out for yourself!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
748 reviews
5. Re: Worth the trip ?

We live 9.5 hours and we have made the trip many times. However, the least amount of days that we have spent is 4. We typically spend 2 days minimum at SDC. Is Branson your only destination or it just a stopping point to some other city? There is so much to do/see in and around Branson, that it would be difficult to spend only 2.5 days. If you take out the Smokey Mnt factor, Branson has more to do than Gatinburg in my opinion. Although both have the hussle bustle of the strip, Branson seems more family orientated and friendly.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Worth the trip ?

Yes, it would be just to visit Branson so the 7 hrs there and back would only give us really 2 full days, maybe a bit more since we could leave early to get in and a little later to get out. Thanks for the input as we are trying to look at using our T/S for a quick get a way -

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Worth the trip ?

I personally love Branson and think it would be worth it. You could look at it this way, it would give you a chance to see if Branson is "really for you" and if it is, you could plan a return trip and stay longer. I would definitely see a show while you are there as they have so many really good ones.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
40 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Worth the trip ?

Travelled from Chicago to Branson on spring break this year with my family. Weather was great, SDC was very fun (managed by same company as Dollywood in PF), food was great, and took in a few shows that the kids really liked. Went to Gatlinburg/PF about two years ago in summer; slightly longer drive than Branson from Chicago. Loved the Smokey Mountains, scenic views, etc. More crowded yet more to see/do if you can tolerate crowds and humidity. One trip to Branson is enough for me; would try Gatlinburg/PF a second time. Either way you will have a great vacation if you choose these great spots.

Wichita, Kansas...
Level Contributor
222 posts
102 reviews
9. Re: Worth the trip ?

We go to Branson 3 to 4 times a year. After last week's trip, we have a new list of things we have never done that we want to do next time. (Did several new things this trip). There is just so much to do there, and we always want to spend 2 days at SDC. We never even made it to the Landing this trip. It's a 5 1/2 hour trip for us.

hcleghorn@cox.net
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: Worth the trip ?

We have been 4 times and it takes us a full 2 days to drive from Norfolk,Va.Just got back, there from May 2 thru 9. You can stay as busy as you want to be.Go to Bronson and you will have a great time.

Get answers to your questions about Branson