We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Itinerary Suggestions PLEASE !

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
455 posts
434 reviews
Fall Itinerary Suggestions PLEASE !

** this will be Cross-posted but ANY input would be helpful**

2 of us - 40+ coming to Minnesota in October- due to my schedule looking like possibly 3rd or 4 th week which may be late for color but..

Day 1 Fly into Minneapolis- drive to either Stillwater or jump on Interstate and get to Duluth-

I would like to stay 2 nights in DULUTH but not sure this late it is worth it...

Love to see the lift bridge at night- and breathe in the cool air-

we are not party people- we need a quiet midwest escape from hustle of life.

- Would like to spend the next day driving up to Split Rock and maybe Grand Marais- see the waterfalls-stop for lunch- not sure the pie place everyone raves about will be open... and then considered staying 1 night in Grand Marais -which would eliminate a night in Duluth but looks like a lot of that area closes around the 22nd... which I may have to arrive after that due to work.

If I did that then I would want suggestions going south from Duluth- along the Mississippi to fill 1 week.- I have 1 week.

OPTION 2:

Fly into Minneapolis-

First night stay in Stillwater -

next day spend time around Stillwater- maybe take a boat on the river-

2. Redwing or Winona.. though on the map they aren't far from Stillwater

3. Lanesboro need its own night or can it be done as a day trip from Redwing or Winona?

4. LaCrosse- 1 night of its own or Prairie Du Chien WISC or 1 night each?

5. Dubuque IOWA or Galena Illinois-

6. ?? Not sure if time for anything else-

Only have essentially 7 nights

And since I am this far south- not sure if it is best to fly out of Chicago- not returned a car or flown out of Chicago--

Suggestions- Foodie stops -Historic -interested in Villa Louis (by Prairie Du Chien) Lake Pepin/ the state parks along the Mississippi- hours of daylight are shorter but like to get up early and be done driving by dark.

Not sure if my current itinerary is TOO aggressive - maybe need 7 nights along river

THANKS !!!

6 replies to this topic
12 posts
1. Re: Fall Itinerary Suggestions PLEASE !

My preference would be Duluth, even in the fall there is a lot to do. I would also consider a night or two in red wing if you have 7 nights it's a beautiful small town my husband and I stay at the St. James hotel I'm red wing and have never been disappointed. I would do 4 nights in Duluth and 2 nights in Red Wing.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
455 posts
434 reviews
2. Re: Fall Itinerary Suggestions PLEASE !

Thanks - yes I was leaning towards Duluth regardless of how late it is - I visited Duluth years years ago and loved seeing the lights of the bridge at night= any suggestions for Duluth Lodging-- Fitgers on a Saturday night might be loud- looked rooms are available but maybe there is something else- never stayed in Duluth- when I did I beleive it was a chain- paid for by a company I was training with.

Any must sees- or stops North- saw that the Nanajoubou Lodge closes before i get there--

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
3. Re: Fall Itinerary Suggestions PLEASE !

As Tracy said, perhaps a little bit of both? Up north, Duluth Grill is good for lunch. Tour the William Irving Ore Boat if still open. Climb Enger Tower. Gooseberry Falls is WELL worth your time on the way to Split Rock and both can be done in a day trip from Duluth (if you decide not to lodge north of Duluth). South of Minneapolis, I'd allow a couple days and go as far south as LaCrosse,WI. This will give you an excellent taste of the river valley and would allow you to fly home out of Minneapolis, thus saving $. You could go down the Wisconsin side and up the MN side. See if Nelson Cheese is open in Nelson. I'd recommend eating at the Harbour View in Pepin. Check hours ahead of time. Hike up the bluff in Perrot State Park if not too cold. I'd also stop at Lark Toys and the eagle center in Wabasha. Go up Garvin Heights in Winona and eat lunch at the Acoustic Cafe if you're in Winona around that time of day. As much as I enjoy Lanesboro, I'd probably pass as it's out of your way and I think the scenery of the North Shore and/or the Mississippi River Valley should take precedence.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
455 posts
434 reviews
4. Re: Fall Itinerary Suggestions PLEASE !

THANK you for all the excellent input!!

Maybe I can circle back up and catch Lanesboro? the Root River valley had a nice fall write up in MidwestLiving that I stumbled on==

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
82 reviews
5. Re: Fall Itinerary Suggestions PLEASE !

This is a nice B & B by the aerial lift bridge: http://solglimt.com/

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
455 posts
434 reviews
6. Re: Fall Itinerary Suggestions PLEASE !

Thanks !! Just what I think will be perfect !!

Reply to: Fall Itinerary Suggestions PLEASE !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stillwater