We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Umbrella Rental at Oval Beach?

Chicago, Illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
Beach Umbrella Rental at Oval Beach?

I'm planning a trip to Saugatuck without a car and am just wondering if there are umbrellas for rent at the beach, since I won't be able to haul one with me.

Mentioned in this post
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Umbrella Rental at Oval Beach?

I don't believe so, but without a car how are you planning on getting to the Oval?

Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
344 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Umbrella Rental at Oval Beach?

Umbrellas, chairs, floats etc were available for rent at the Oval Beach concession stand last year, I'm not sure about this year, you may want to contact City Hall, 269 857-2603 just to make sure.

Besides walking to Oval Beach, which can be tricky (very hilly and kind of dangerous with traffic), you can call for a ride with the local dial-a-ride bus service, the Interurban, 269 857-1418.

Lots depends on where you are staying....if you are in town and plan to walk to the beach, you will need to take the Chain Ferry across the river and then hike to the beach. I think the Interurban would be your best bet, just $1 per ride and they will pick you up and drop you off.

Mentioned in this post
Oval Beach
Oval Beach
887 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Saugatuck Chain Ferry
Saugatuck Chain Ferry
124 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Chicago, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Umbrella Rental at Oval Beach?

Thanks, Lakeffect! I was planning on taking the ferry and then walking the half mile to the beach, but good to know if the streets are not friendly to pedestrians. The Interurban is good to know about.

Rono -- planning on taking Amtrak to Holland, and cab to Saugatuck.

Mentioned in this post
Holland
Holland
Ottawa County, MI
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
344 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Umbrella Rental at Oval Beach?

Have fun! Just be sure to check the chain ferry's schedule/hours so you have a smooth return trip.

Lafayette, IN
Level Contributor
61 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Umbrella Rental at Oval Beach?

Don't know if this is too late, but we were at Oval Beach yesterday and the concession stand had a sign that said "Beach Chair and Beach Umbrella Rentals $10"

Mentioned in this post
Oval Beach
Oval Beach
887 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
6. Re: Beach Umbrella Rental at Oval Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck
More Saugatuck Topics