We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Saugatuck

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report Saugatuck

First I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and advice. As usual, you were right on the money.

Beaches-Although pretty and large, the water at Oval Beach was murky and had lots of green gooey seaweed type stuff in it. Maybe we went at a bad time. The water at the beach in St. Joseph, however, was crystal clear and absolutley beautiful. I'd go back to St. Joseph in a heartbeat. Oval, not so much.

Food-Defintiely a food lovers vacation. Marro's...good pizza, incredible Linguine Ala Pescatore, loved the Malfatti, nice atmosphere. Phil's Bar and Grill, great burgers, awesome broasted chicken. Pumpernickel's, you have to try the cinnamon rolls!!! Mermaid's had a great chicken wrap, cold beer, and the best service, along with dining on the water at sunset. My 12 year old ordered meatloaf and ate every bite! In St. Joseph, Clementine's has a great fried perch sandwich, and onion rings that come on a skewer. They were to die for. Crazy Horse in Holland had a terrific prime rib, and was a fun place for the kids. Gelato at the American Spoon in downtown Saugatuck is very, very good.

Uncommon Grounds in downtown Saugatuck had the best coffee. Crane's Pie Pantry in Fennville is the place to get your fruit pie fix on. The four of us each had a differen pie, and we rotated with each bite. I'm thinking about the red raspberry I had right now. Took 2 frozen pies home. Fenn Valley Winery not far from Cranes had a few good wines (try the Capriccio), but the place itself isn't anything fancy. Check out the satellite store in Saugatuck.

Dune rides were fun, but not educational at all (this is an oak tree...). Inexpensive, though, $58 for the four of us. Didn't ride the Ducks, as we've done that before in Seattle, but we heard it was fun.

All in all, great week, good food. Kids had fun. Thanks again. We'll definitely come back to Michigan.

Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Saugatuck

Glad you had a great time in West Michigan. I try to make it out to Oval Beach everyday and the conditions change daily. I'm sorry the water quality was bad on your visit, things were perfect today.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Saugatuck

Glad you had a good time. I agree with lakeffect that conditions change. Sometimes after a heavy rain the rivers in these lakeside towns carry a lot of "stuff" into the lake and depending on which way the water is moving, it can wind up near the shore. But with that said I was talking to a water treatment plant worker here in SH. It seems things are changing, as the zebra mussels eat everything in site, the lake is becoming clearer and now we have a new breed of seaweed starting to grow as sunlight reaches depths that it hasn't in the past. Great :(

At least we seem to be past the dead fish days (knock on wood).

Come back soon.

Saugatuck, Michigan
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Saugatuck

I'd just like to reiterate what others have said, in case future visitors read this post--yes, water conditions change daily! Was at Oval on Sunday and it was beautiful...I'm there at least once a week and haven't had a bad day yet. Also, Oval is fairly long--if you don't like the water where you're sitting, maybe take a short walk down the beach and you could find a better spot.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Saugatuck

Yes, it is a long, beautiful beach. We were there Monday-Thursday. Of course we walked from one end to the other, and although it was better in some areas than others, it was by no means clear or goo free on any of those days. I'm sure we just hit a bad time, but all I have to compare it to is the beach in St. Joseph (crystal clear...could still see your feet in about 3 feet of water)and the one at South Haven (which was clear too, but very, very choppy...kids loved that). Please don't think I'm dissing the beach, I'm just telling it like it was when we were there. I'm a big Michigan fan now!!

Forgot to mention a pizza place in St. Joseph's...Gelsosomo's on on the bluff at Silver Beach in an old train station. One of the best pizzas I've ever had. Seriously good.

5. Re: Trip Report Saugatuck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck
More Saugatuck Topics