We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question Regarding the Chain Ferry

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Question Regarding the Chain Ferry

We've been to Saugatuck a couple of times and I am now planning another trip this fall for a group of friends who've never been before. I was planning some things last night while looking at a map. I realized the Chain Ferry is across the river from a road that seems to go directly to Oval Beach. I haven't tried a trip on the Chain Ferry yet and the only time we've been to Oval Beach, we drove over.

Is it possible to jump on the Chair Ferry, cross the river, and then WALK to Oval Beach? Or is this actually a longer trek than I am imagining?

Thanks for the info!

Mentioned in this post
Saugatuck Chain Ferry
Saugatuck Chain Ferry
101 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Oval Beach
Oval Beach
827 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question Regarding the Chain Ferry

It's possible, but I'm guessing it would be a half mile walk (?) and there are no sidewalks on the curvy, hilly street so caution should be exercised.

Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
341 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question Regarding the Chain Ferry

It is possible to take the chain ferry across the river and walk to Oval Beach but as Rono said, it is hilly and there are no sidewalks but people do it all the time. Another option is to walk up the steps (291 of them) of Mt Baldy, enjoy the beautiful view and then come down the other side to Oval Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Oval Beach
Oval Beach
827 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question Regarding the Chain Ferry

Thanks for the info. I suppose if one of us has more energy than we know what to do with, this might be something to think about...otherwise...I think we'll stick to driving over to the beach!

I didn't know about Mt. Baldy.

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, are there things to do within "rational" walking distance once one has taken the Chair Ferry to the other side of the river?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question Regarding the Chain Ferry

This is a bit off subject but if you had bicycles or rented them you could go across and go left and then make the first right. That would take you out a winding road that will go right along the lakeshore all the way out to Lake Shore Resort. It would be a nice shady ride.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Shore Resort
Lake Shore Resort
209 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
341 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question Regarding the Chain Ferry

The only things on that side of the river are the beach, Mt Baldy, our free historical museum (neat exhibit on artwork that reflects various periods in Saugatuck's history) and Oxbow, the summer school of art.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question Regarding the Chain Ferry

Great! Well, thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize there were other things over there and I never thought to bring a bike.

Thanks for the info!

7. Re: Question Regarding the Chain Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 18:33
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck
Recent Conversations
More Saugatuck Topics