We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Cheap Eats, Fine Dining in Saugatuck area?

Michigan
13 posts
Save Topic
Best Cheap Eats, Fine Dining in Saugatuck area?

Looking for your suggestions... we are pretty flexible as far as type of food, but we like inventive, fresh, off the cuff fare. We totally avoid chain restaurants. We prefer an informal atmosphere (especially little take out shacks) but would love suggestions for a knock your socks off, unpretentious dinner/cocktails establishment, too. Looking forward to a great breakfast joint too - with outstanding coffee, of course. Also, any great places to get fresh smoothies to go? What about best watering holes? I love a good Bloody Mary or Mojito, good wines and of course a vast beer selection.

Thanks in advance!

GL

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Cheap Eats, Fine Dining in Saugatuck area?

Pumpernickel's in Saugatuck for breakfast..delicious (and famous) cinnamon rolls. Outstanding eggs benedict. Everyday People Cafe has an unpretentious atmosphere with some amazing dishes on their everchanging menu. M & M's (in Douglas) is less expensive with some good dishes for lunch - try the spanokapita! Uncommon Ground in Saugatuck roasts their own coffee so it is THE coffee shop in the area. They have smoothies as well.

Mentioned in this post
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
Michigan
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Cheap Eats, Fine Dining in Saugatuck area?

Cool! Thanks sooo much!

GL

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Cheap Eats, Fine Dining in Saugatuck area?

Hi GretchieLoo,

I have to agree with Pumpernickels. We tried a couple of breakfast places (in our whole two trips to Saugatuck) and we always seem to compare it to Pumpernickels.

I also wanted to mention Phil's. We just stopped in for a quick lunch and a beer and I was very impressed with it's menu. I thought I'd get "bar food" but it was so much more. I wish I could remember what was in the cheese dip we had but it was unlike anything I'd tried before...a tangy cheese with a sweet touch.

Have a good trip!

Mentioned in this post
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
Phil's Bar & Grille
Phil's Bar & Grille
945 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
342 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Cheap Eats, Fine Dining in Saugatuck area?

Ida Red's for breakfast or lunch is an excellent choice, always crowded, always great food (cash only though)

I agree about Phil's, a gem of a place.

You might also consider Lakeview Lanes in Douglas, yes a bowling alley but it's non smoking, has a grand piano and a chef! Now that's quirky!

And of course do not miss Everyday People Cafe for dinner, simply the best!

Mentioned in this post
Phil's Bar & Grille
Phil's Bar & Grille
945 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Cheap Eats, Fine Dining in Saugatuck area?

There's a new burrito shack on Water Street at the corner of Mary--I haven't tried it but I've heard it's good.

I agree with other posters on Ida Red's, Phil's and EPC. EPC has great mojitos & wine & beer selection. Most places in town serve at least Oberon if not other Bell's choices too. I also second the comments about Uncommon Grounds--exceptional coffee and homemade baked goods (love their scones) and great smoothies too.

If you're really foodies are want to splurge, Journeyman in Fennville has *very* inventive, locally-grown food, breakfast/lunch/dinner (great coffee, wine list, etc. too). Check out their website.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Phil's Bar & Grille
Phil's Bar & Grille
945 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
6. Re: Best Cheap Eats, Fine Dining in Saugatuck area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 15:24
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck
Recent Conversations
More Saugatuck Topics