We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August in Saugatuck

Michigan
13 posts
Save Topic
August in Saugatuck

My significant and I to have a Key West type of getaway -w/o the hassle of flying, so I had the idea of going to Saugatuck. Good idea, you think? I'm open to other suggestions for places to visit, if I am off base with Saugatuck! We like the laid back attitude and atmosphere of KW, and from what I can ascertain about Saugatuck - I think I am close.

Anyhow... we were planning on driving in from the Ann Arbor area and visiting Saugatuck, August 9 - 13 and are looking for a reasonable, very clean place to stay. We like B&B's, small motels, etc. We will be spending the majority of our time out and about at the beach, galleries, walking around town and the like so being in a resort type setting is not important; nor is being catered to... ya know? Also, being able to walk back to where we are staying is important - after a couple of cocktails...

Many thanks in advance for your insight!

Saugatuck Dune Rides
Off-Road & ATV Trails
Butler Street
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Saugatuck Dunes State Park
Beaches, Cross-country Ski Areas, State Parks
Saugatuck, Michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August in Saugatuck

GretchieLoo,

I think Saugatuck will have exactly what you are looking for. There are plenty of B&B's that will fit the bill for you. The only problem that I can forsee at this late date is your Saturday arrival on the 9th. Weekends are pretty much, I would guess, booked up already. You might want to alter your dates by one day.

As for picking a place to stay, www.saugatuck.com and www.saugatuckdouglas.com are a couple of really good resources for lodging. Once you have found a place or two, use TripAdvisor to check them out. (or start with TripAdvisor to narrow your search down)

Once in town, since you will be here during the week, you will be able to enjoy the beach without the massive weekend crowds. That goes for downtown traffic as well. Dining out here is always fun and you can split your meals between Saugatuck and Douglas. Mermaid for dining on the water, Everyday People Cafe for a fantastic meal too, Wild Dog in Douglas has a great courtyard, Phils for a fun, local place to have a great meal.

All in all, I think you are making a great choice and hope you enjoy your laid back vacation in Saugatuck.

I'm certain that you will be getting plenty more responses to your post so you will have all kinds of information to pick and choose from.

2. Re: August in Saugatuck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck
Recent Conversations
More Saugatuck Topics