We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, oh my!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
12 reviews
Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, oh my!

I've been reading TA for days and still have too many questions, hope someone can set me straight.

We'd like to visit the area WITHOUT kids (yea!) and we're having a hard time choosing which town would be best. We'd like to stay somewhere that we can walk to restaurants and night life (driving to the beach during the day is no problem). Is there night life? Like live music? If so, in which town should we concentrate our search? We plan on a 2 night stay in July. Thanks for any advise!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,747 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, oh my!

All three towns are great. I can't speak for Grand Haven's night life. I can say as two adults and driving to the beach not being a problem Saugatuck would get my vote over South Haven. Saugatuck has great restaurants and just seems a bit more sophisticated, more adult than SH.

Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
351 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, oh my!

Saugatuck would be the best bet for a romantic getaway without the kids.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, oh my!

Thanks, that was my hunch judging by the lodging and restaurant options.

We will be there Wed & Thurs after the 4th, what are the chances of catching some live entertainment? Is there an entertainment page to check or could you tell me where there might be music so I can check their web pages? Thanks!

Grand Rapids mi
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, oh my!

Disagree (a little) with Saugatuck as first choice. We live about 1 hour away so visit both a lot. our fav place in the world is south haven...OK maybe second after Key West...Idler is a restaurant/bar on a boat that is great fun, captain lou's usually has live music...town very relaxed...great beaches...try Victoria's Resort for great fun at a reasonable price. either town is great....grand haven is much bigger and busier.

Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
351 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, oh my!

Check out the events calendar at saugatuckdouglas.com. Also you can check individual web sites under the restaurant category.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, oh my!

Key West? Well, now you have my attention! That's our fave vacation place! And that's kind of what we are looking for: relaxed place with good restaurants and bars with entertainment that we can walk to near the water.

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
195 reviews
7. Re: Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, oh my!

Having been to all 3 and having lived in Grand Haven for 28 years, my choice by far is Grand Haven.

Mid week should be fairly easy to find a two night stay very close to downtown. We have a beautiful bike path / boardwalk that goes the length of the waterfront, from the river in town to the state park on Lake Michigan.

There are multiple places in GH and Spring Lake that have decks overlooking the water where you can spend the day and / or evening eating and enjoying drinks.

A few would be the Kirby Grill, Bil Mar, Snug

Harbor and Old Boy's Brewery in Spring Lake.

Night time entertainment options abaound as well.

If you choose NOT to spend some time in GH, you're only shorting yourself!

Good luck on your selection.

Grand Rapids mi
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, oh my!

hi Sharla2,

thought i remebered your name from teh key west forum...i "lurk" there a lot....keys illness...nice report on your last trip....went to South haven last sat night and then Sagautuck Sunday...both were fun...but not Key west fun....we went this weekend for my birthday...going to KW next year for my wife's....doesn't seem equal does it? we alternate years between key west and south haven for vacation...email me at rgarner@goodchevybuick.com if you have any questions.....

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, oh my!

Thanks for all your input, finding a room mid week was more difficult than we thought it would be! Our top choices were already sold out. We ended up downtown Saugatuck. I think we'll find enough to do there for 2 days. Maybe a day trip to Grand Haven and I know we'll check out South Haven on the way up.

socroq, we'll be in KW the end of Feb, watch for a roll call!

Springfield, il
Level Contributor
53 posts
40 reviews
10. Re: Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, oh my!

Sharla2.....we are making the trip up from Springfield, Il the latter part of July and don't have a clue what to do - what to see....please let us know what you thought and what your pick of the 3 is! Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck
More Saugatuck Topics