We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time need lodging suggestions please

Maumee, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
1st time need lodging suggestions please

Planning a memorial weekend trip. Can’t decide if it is worth the extra expense to stay on the island vs staying in the city and just taking the ferry over. Either way looking for tips on places to stay. The choice is so overwhelming. Only two adults. Want a balcony to sit on. Don’t want to spend a fortune, but will pay for service and cleanliness. Any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. First time.

5 replies to this topic
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time need lodging suggestions please

I think it is worth staying overnight on the Island. The character of the places changes as the daytrippers leave. Also, there is a fair mount of live music in the evenings.

We like the suites on the water at Chippewa Hotel. They are huge, have fabulous views and the hotel has a good location. The cost would run about $30 on that weekend, but many people are spending more than that rooms without views other places.

Unless you spend much more, other rooms with balconies are going to open on the street or otherwise, away from the water. The good news is the Island hotels and B&Bs all have good reputations. We have stayed at 7 places and not had a bad experience.

That said, Memorial Day weekend is about 3 weeks away. I would book right away.

Maumee, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time need lodging suggestions please

Thank you so very much for taking the time! Funny thing is that was my favorite of the hotels on the island from what I could see/read. Just wasn't sure if paying that much more would be worth the extra expense, but I kind of feel it might be. In addition, I wasn't sure if facing the water vs facing the crowds to people watch and watch the horse and buggies would be better? Thanks for taking the time!

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time need lodging suggestions please

Here is the sitting room from our first visit and a view from the balcony. I think the water is worth it. You will be seeing the horses and crowds much of your time away from the room.

mightymac.org/mackinacisland2013/13mackinaw3…

mightymac.org/mackinacisland2013/13mackinaw3…

You can keep some of your Island expenses down by getting prepared food at Dowd's Market across the street. It is the oldest family market in the US and has an amazing selection for its size and the size of the community.

You can save a few bucks on the ferry by buying the tickets online. Tickets are good for any departure. I used to say that while I had a favorite ferry, the all offered very similar service. There have been changes in the past couple of years and I strongly recommend Shepler's.

Some of the morning departures (marked on the schedule) include a pass under the Mackinac Bridge. It is a cool bonus. You can make the trip from either St. Ignace or Mackinaw City, but I think that the views of the Straits are much better from Mackinaw City. Other people swear by St. Ignace.

Maumee, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time need lodging suggestions please

Wow...thank you for all the wonderful tips. Your pics are beautiful too...seems as if you had a great room. The only left is one on second floor with an obstructed view (appears above the canopied restaurant ) but he said you can still see but not down. Not sure about that. Or a room on the top floor...not sure about that either? That one is $40 a night more. Kind of debating and have decided to stay one night in Mackinaw City. Wonder if we can bring bikes over on Sheplers..ill have to research that. Thanks for taking the time!

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time need lodging suggestions please

The charge is $11/bike round trip on the ferry. Your hotel will tell you where to store them.

We stayed above the resturant two years ago during the Lilac Festival. I just uploaded a couple of photos from our balcony that time. I was shooting specific things, so they don't show the broad view.

http://mightymac.org/0001.JPG

http://mightymac.org/0002.JPG

We are going up next week and will stay at Mission Point Resort in a lakeview room. The resort sits back quite a ways from the water so I am curious what the views will be like.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 23:29
Reply to: 1st time need lodging suggestions please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City