We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Sandwich to Nantucket

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
532 posts
12 reviews
From Sandwich to Nantucket

We are coming for two nights in the fall of 2017. We will have a half day when we arrive and a full day. We would like to take the ferry to Nantucket on the full day, and just have dinner/walk or drive around where we are staying. I looked at lodging in Nantucket and it was out of our price range. We found a nice place in Sandwich. Would it be practical to stay in Sandwich and drive to the ferry for our day in Nantucket? Also, is there a downtown area in Sandwich to walk and eat.?

9 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
168 reviews
1. Re: From Sandwich to Nantucket

Hi, to get to Nantucket you will need to get the ferry in Hyannis, about a 20-30 minute drive from Sandwich. Then the ferry is either an hour trip (fast ferry) or two hours (regular ferry). You could stay in Hyannis for the night and take the fast ferry over the next day. The Steamship Authority runs a special on the fast ferry, Mon-Thurs for $50.00 round trip. Hyannis does have a cute walkable downtown with restaurants. The Anchor In is a good place to stay right near the ferry dock.

Edited: 30 January 2017, 11:12
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
1 review
2. Re: From Sandwich to Nantucket

I answered the other post and just commented on the two towns mentioned but I agree that Hyannis might be a better choice especially with such a short stay. Personally I wouldn't bother with Nantucket but would choose to see more of the Cape but that's not what they asked !!!

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
532 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: From Sandwich to Nantucket

Coming from Boston we think we would like to drive to Provincetown for the evening & to spend night 1. It is a 2 hour drive but it seems like a nice drive ???? Then the next morning an hour to the ferry to Nantucket. It looks like it will be another nice drive. We would have all day in Nantucket or we can leave early and do a little exploring the Cape. Then spend the second night in Sandwich, which we leave for New Hampshire the next day. Wouldn't this give us a feel of the Cape, or does it sound like too much?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
1 review
4. Re: From Sandwich to Nantucket

If you are just going to drive straight to Provincetown then you will be on Rte 6 going up the middle of the Cape with no sight of water until you are almost in Provincetown. The drive back to Hyannis is exactly the same road.

I would allow two hours for the drive to Hyannis to give you time to park and get to the ferry.

Edited: 30 January 2017, 13:49
Boston...
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
746 reviews
5. Re: From Sandwich to Nantucket

pen: Boston to P-town will take about 2 hours under zero traffic conditions. If your plan is to do this on a weekend in summer allow 4-5 hours.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,234 posts
6. Re: From Sandwich to Nantucket

In the Fall, your drive to Provincetown should take a little over 2 hours unless it is Columbus Day weekend, and even then it won't be horrid traffic. If you have time, try to get off Rt. 6 and visit or look at a few of the beaches or lighthouses on the Outer Cape. The Cape is narrow there, and you can see some pretty scenery a mile or so off of the main road.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,992 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: From Sandwich to Nantucket

So that you can spend time enjoying the Cape instead of doing all that driving (Rt 6 has about zero scenery and other roads will take you too long) you could have a wonderful time if you simply locate in Falmouth both nights where there is plenty to do and then walk onto the Island Queen conveniently departing from Falmouth harbor and arriving at Martha's Vineyard 35 minutes later. Explore Oak Bluffs and Edgartown (which can be easily traveled between via the Island Shuttle) which is faster and cheaper than Nantucket (the ride and anything - like lunch - that you might want to buy) and more to see imho.

Edited: 31 January 2017, 01:19
South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
686 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: From Sandwich to Nantucket

I agree with Cape CodCharlie on (if you insist on going to one of the islands) going to MV vs Nantucket due to length of time needed to get there plus higher costs...people who stay all week on Cape sometimes don't even take time to visit an island so why use up your short time on it?

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
913 reviews
9. Re: From Sandwich to Nantucket

I have taken Charlie's good advice in years past 😀

The new Fishermen's Restaurant in Sandwich is all the rage! & Go to the awesome Sandwich Glassblowers Museum if you're in that area. Allow 3 hours for these.

I ❤both islands. If Nantucket is the island you want to see, by all means do it. If Martha's V, follow Charlie's tips. Let us know which you choose. As they say, "There is no wrong answer, IMO."

I wrote several TA Reviews last November.

Reply to: From Sandwich to Nantucket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sandwich