We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location?

Philadelphia...
10 posts
Save Topic
Location?

Hello,

We have decided to stay in Harwich for our first visit to the Cape. We will be staying in July for 4 nights and are deciding between The Inn on the Beach and Platinum Pebble Boutique Inn. Any Advice?? We have looked over a ton of the reviews and are still undecided. A few important things for us...being able to walk to a beach as well as shops/restaurants and also that the accommodations are really nice! Thanks for the input!

19 replies to this topic
York
Level Contributor
545 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location?

Inn on the Beach is in Harwichport which is a much nicer part of town and it appears to be close to the beach . I have no personal knowledge of either facility.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Location?

Difficult to advise as they seem to be two very different places. Inn on the Beach is actually on the beach Platinum Pebble isn't. Bank St beach next to the Inn is very popular and I think will have lots of children although the Inn does have some private beach.

Our first vacation on the Cape over 40 years ago was in Harwich Port but we always rent so I'm afraid that I don't have any personal experience of the various inns and B & Bs.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location?

Okay so the location of the Pebble Boutique is right on the town line with Dennis Port. So you'll walk down Belmont and go to a Dennis Port beach. All of the beaches along that strand are terrific and mostly private but I'm sure there's space for locals to use since there is an entrance at the bottom of Belmont. But, better ask the innkeeper if you would be going to the beach at Belmont or Inman. Inman is a public beach not too much farther to walk. Ask yourself though how much beach 'stuff' you are going to take with you.

If you are going to locate away from Harwichport center/Main St then you might as well look at all the properties along Chase Ave in Dennis Port starting with the Edgewater Beach and the Soundings, then The Breakers all time share rentals then the Corsair and Crossrip, Three Seasons and Colony Beach. There is a beach bar open to the public at Three Seasons with food and drink from the upscale Ocean House next door. There are several restaurants very near by and three/four to which you can walk.

You'll notice that the location on Bank St beach means you are steps to the beach from your room. IF you can also hear the surf (as we used to when we stayed on Chase Ave) from your room/bed then, to me, that's the tie breaker.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location?

I should say that I have never been inside either of these properties and that locating ON the beach is not as big a deal to some folks as it is to me. Just want to let you know of my bias.

Philadelphia...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Location?

Thank you so much!!! Being on the beach or super close to the beach is important to us. my family has owned a home steps from the beach in ocean city nj for the last 20 years so we love the water/beach! However if we decide to stay at one of the places suggested on chase ave are there shops/restaurants in walking distance??

York
Level Contributor
545 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location?

One thing is for sure if you pick Harwichport you will have three great Pizza places to choose from . On the east end is Ember which is an upscale Pizzeria Regina style . In the center of The strip is Georges which is a traditional Neapolitan or NY style . On the west side ( Rt 28 + Sisson Rd) is Harwichport pizza which is a New England , Greek style pizza . All are quite good.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location?

What? OCNJ? So I was there every summer from the time I was 6 months old. Our family's summer home is gone now replaced by a big condo but was at 16th and Wesley. In my teen years we kids stayed in the apartments behind the College Grill (and Bob's) and worked at various places like Chris' on the bay and Copper Kettle Fudge.

Nostalgia aside, I like the Cape far better than OCNJ were the dining is limited to stuff like the Varsity Inn and Mack and Manco right???

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location?

So the resorts on Chase will be closer to restaurants than Pebble Inn. You will have a traditional New England Seafood House, The Ebb Tide, the wonderful The Ocean House and the Beach Bar. And you can also walk up to Wee Packet for BLD but I might only use it for take out lobster rolls to eat on the beach for lunch. Around the corner from Wee Packet is the famous Sundae School with home made ice cream and nearby in the other direction is a sort of dive (and I say that lovingly) called The Wooden Shoe, good for whole lobster and drinking at the bar. However there are many other restaurants within a 5 min drive. In this area there is just one shop and it is very worth a visit and that is The Ebb Tide Gift Shop.

If you want a B&B however there is By the Sea Guests on Chase. They are located on that same expansive, private beach.

BUT, from everything you said before you mentioned Pebble Inn, I think you should locate on the beach in Harwichport, use the Nantucket Island ferry, walk to shops and dining up and down their little Main St. unless there is a good reason to look elsewhere.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location?

Where, approximately is your family house in OCNJ?

Philadelphia...
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Location?

Thank you guys for all the advice!! Much appreciated!!!!

Reply to: Location?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Harwich