We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from airport

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
78 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
transportation from airport

My husband and I fly into Logan airport in Boston and are staying at the Winnstead Inn and Beach Resort in Harwich. We are trying to decide if we should rent a car at the airport or take the bus to Hyannis Transportation Center and rent a car there. We arrive on Friday afternoon. Our flight leaves Boston Monday morning at 11:30. Our biggest concerns are heavy traffic each way. If we do take the bus back to the airport is it reliable? 11:30 isn't that early but we would have to leave Harwich fairly early to get to the airport on time.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
13 replies to this topic
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,439 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from airport

Personally, I would rent the car in Boston and drive.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from airport

I agree. Rent the car in Boston and drive. That way you can stop on the way if you want to and it will take you less time. Just review the route before hand on Google Maps. Do you have a Garmin or other navigation device to bring with you? Personally I never found traffic around Boston to be all that bad.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,902 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from airport

I've done both and, by far, getting the car at Logan is the most convenient way to go. 100% of the times (only twice) that we took the bus to the airport it was late. Once we had to jump off and hail a taxi while the bus driver made his regular stops before Logan and the other was a flat tire. We never tried again.

I will caution you about one thing though especially if you are using GPS. One time we got off at (maybe it was..) exit 18 and it was the wrong exit 18. So DO look carefully at a map for the return as the departure is really quite easy with good signage.

Cheshire...
Level Contributor
389 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from airport

Were you planning on staying in Harwich without a car?

I would just rent a car at the airport and use it for your time on The Cape.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,902 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from airport

ejm, the OP states that they will rent a car and are just trying to decide between Logan and Hyannis. Good point but it looks like they already have that part figured out.

Mentioned in this post
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
78 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from airport

Lots of good information. We took a bus near New York once and it broke down as well which is why we first questioned taking it to Boston to catch a flight. I appreciate all your help as it is looking like we need to at least drive back to the airport and will probably drive both ways. We definitely want a car for our stay. The whole area looks lovely. Our daughter is getting married in August and this is our post- wedding recovery trip that my husband gave me for Valentines day.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation from airport

Friday afternoon traffic will be brutal - not much you can do about it - you will sit in it on a bus or in a car.

I'd rent a car at BOS. That way you can stop along the way or route yourselves along 6A once across the bridge if you feel like a more scenic drive.

I'd plan minimum 2 hrs to get to Logan on Monday morning.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,902 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation from airport

You can avoid the traffic if you want to fly Logan to Hyannis. The flight is a real sightseeing event. However I 'm a worry wart and I would still be concerned about a delayed flight into Boston....though you could still be accommodated on a later flight out if there is one.

Mentioned in this post
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
78 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation from airport

I bet it is lovely but I agree - the delayed flight could be an issue and the cost of that would be quite a bit more as well. I think we would rather spend the money on good food and drinks.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,902 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation from airport

From Harwich you are very close to The Ocean House on the water in Dennis Port. This really fills the bill for good (great actually) food and drink. Get a reservation for the dining room or wait for a table in the bar/lounge. have a yummy time.

Reply to: transportation from airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Harwich
Recent Conversations