We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive time to Boston airport

London
13 posts
Save Topic
drive time to Boston airport

Hi. We are driving from Chatham to Boston airport on a Saturday morning in July. How long is this likely to take?

As we have a flight to catch I guess we need worst case scenarios!

Thanks.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: drive time to Boston airport

Logan is most 70 minutes from the canal. I would give youself 2 hours for the drive and rental return, then another 15 minutes to get to the terminal, on top on whatever you feel you need to check in.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,023 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: drive time to Boston airport

How early are we talking?? Most all rental properties on the Cape "turn over" on Saturdays so late morning is likely to be very "trafficy", especially if the weather is not great. However, early in the morning (like before 9) shouldn't be any problem at all on either end. Drive time to Logan without traffic is about 2 hours.

Edited: 14 May 2011, 04:27
London
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: drive time to Boston airport

We need to be at Logan around noon....

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,023 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: drive time to Boston airport

Then I would leave by 9 and have a cup of coffee at Logan with the extra time.

London
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: drive time to Boston airport

Thanks!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,200 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive time to Boston airport

Asked my wife who is way more conservative than me and she say 8:30 and the truth is she would kick my butt out at 8 in case of any problems with traffic ,returning car, getting thru security etc. And if you are traveling internationaly even more reason. Must say the drive off of the cape is one of the saddest things I do each year.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drive time to Boston airport

Have done this drive many times, although never on a Saturday in July. We leave from Eastham, which takes the same time to get to Boston as leaving from Chatham....2 hours. I am assuming that your flight is not leaving at noon, but that you have done the math on arriving at noon, dropping off the rental car, getting through security etc, and that you just need to know driving time from Chatham to Logan. I would leave at 9 am to be over the bridge before 10am. All of the weekly rentals check out around 10-11am so if you are over the bottleneck of the Sagamore by 10 you should make decent time getting to Logan. In fact, if you get lucky, you will have an hour or more to spare. I am a conservative traveler but I think leaving at 8 am is too early as long as you have left enough time after your noon arrival to drop the car and check in.

Edited: 15 May 2011, 02:12
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,054 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: drive time to Boston airport

Although check out time is by 10.00 a.m. we always leave by about 8.00a.m. and judging by the traffic, even in September, so do many other people. It should still take only about 2 hours to get to Logan etc but personally I would rather spend any extra time at the airport than hanging around the house. A lot less stressful than perhaps being stopped behind an accident etc.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,491 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: drive time to Boston airport

Neslaw, I'm with your wife. Usually everything goes smoothly but last month I was unable to allow for any extra time for an international flight departing O' Hare. I had a long wait (since they had to see my passport) in a line at the UAL counter and then TSA had only one line (a tremendously long one) open. The combination had me sprinting through the airport with my aircraft being at the farther out of the two banks of gates and I arrived as everyone was boarding. You may say, oh well, since I couldn't have boarded any earlier but it all sure had me in a panic. I've only been too late to board once but the memory of it makes me prefer to plan for delays.

Therefore an accident on the highway or other snafu that would keep the OP from making their flight to London could be avoided by leaving at 8AM and hopefully there will then be more than enough time to relax at Logan.

AND you are so right about the feeling leaving the Cape. For me it's especially hard when Hwy 6 crosses the Bass River.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: drive time to Boston airport

Well sure...if your flight leaves shortly after noon then 8 is not conservative. In fact, if your international flight leaves around noon, I would leave Chatham before 8 am....say, 7:30 giving you more than the recommended 2 hours to get through security etc.