We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from South Berwick, ME to Lexington Park, MD

South Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
8 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from South Berwick, ME to Lexington Park, MD

I have traveled from Maine to Lexington Park, MD by car as well as by plane but this upcoming trip wish to go by train. My partner is handicapped and the airport can be a nightmare dealing with security, not to mention standing in long lines. We would prefer either leaving out of Boston or take the train from Dover, NH to the Boston station and switch trains. I have been looking at the routes to Lexington Park, however, the closest train goes to Cambridge, MD which is about 2 hrs. from Lexington Park. Any suggestions? It amazes me that there isn't more adequate and convenient transportation to Lexington Park, MD via train or plane for that matter with the air station there. I am sure the military personnel are frustrated with this situation as I am.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Dover
Dover
New Hampshire
Cambridge
Cambridge
Maryland
6 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from South Berwick, ME to Lexington Park, MD

You should post your question to the Maryland forum. I'm guessing bus from Cambridge to Lexington Park is the only public transportation option.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from South Berwick, ME to Lexington Park, MD

Also be aware that "switching trains" in Boston will require a cab or subway ride across downtown Boston. Trains serving Maine and New Hampshire arrive/depart from Boston's North Station, while trains to/from points south or west of Boston arrive at Boston's South Station. There is no connecting service between the two. Could be awkward in your situation.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Maine
Maine
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Salisbury, Maryland
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from South Berwick, ME to Lexington Park, MD

You might consider looking at the train options to Baltimore, too, which is closer to Lexington Park than Cambridge (about 80 miles) and likely has more post-train transportation options than Cambridge, a small town on the Eastern Shore.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
South Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
8 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from South Berwick, ME to Lexington Park, MD

Thanks you all for your replies. The drive from BWI to our destination is 2-1/2 hrs. with very little options other than being picked up or renting a car. Again, wish there were more convenient travel options available. Think we are going to forego our trip.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,218 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from South Berwick, ME to Lexington Park, MD

There's no train service on the Maryland Eastern Shore. What you've seen for Cambridge, Maryland is a bus connection.

However you travel to Maryland, you're going to need a bus for the final portion of your trip. I actually think the closest rail station would be the end of one of the Washington Metro lines, so obviously not that close.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Cambridge
Cambridge
Maryland
South Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
8 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from South Berwick, ME to Lexington Park, MD

Thank you for responding. I agree having checked out the travel myself. I was aware of the bus to Cambridge and thought this is ridiculous, more complicated than I had anticipated or wished for! The traveling arrangements are a nightmare down to Lexington Park which baffles me when there is the PAX Naval Station down there. Thank you again for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Reply to: Travel from South Berwick, ME to Lexington Park, MD
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Berwick