We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in early April?

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in early April?

Every year for our wedding anniversary, my husband and I travel somewhere we haven't been before. The first week of April 2017 we are staying at Samoset Resort, I know many attractions will still be closed for the winter, but what else is there to do, at that time of year besides golf. We are very adventurous. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Samoset Resort On The...
1,449 Reviews
Rockport, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
894 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in early April?

It will be quiet that time of year but still plenty to do. Although hours will be more limited that time of year, check out the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland. Also the Owls Head Transportation museum nearby. Drive up the coast to Bar Harbor. Explore some of the beautiful peninsulas along the way, lots of places to check out like Castine or Stonington. A day trip to Portland is doable. If you are interested in Maine's maritime history, the Maritime museum in Bath is very interesting and Bath is a cool little town to check out.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will jump in with more ideas. Enjoy Maine!

Mentioned in this post
Farnsworth Art Museum
Farnsworth Art Museum
755 Reviews
Rockland, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Owls Head Transportation Museum
Owls Head Transportation...
326 Reviews
Owls Head, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,002 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in early April?

The first week of April is often really iffy weather. We usually have our last snow storm that week. It melts fairly quickly and can be a pretty, wet snow. But still. If you do come up to Acadia for a day trip, be aware that the Park Loop Road doesn't open until April 15th. However, that doesn't mean that you can't still hike in the Park. There is lots of access to the Park along the periphery. Parking lots are kept plowed. And there is one part of the Loop Road that is kept open all winter. It runs along Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, and to Otter Cliffs. On a pretty day in April that's a lovely spot for a walk. One can't drive to the top of Cadillac Mountain. But you could hike up there.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Park Loop Road
Park Loop Road
1,316 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Sand Beach
Sand Beach
700 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Thunder Hole
Thunder Hole
812 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Cadillac Mountain
Cadillac Mountain
2,758 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
3. Re: What to do in early April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2017, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Rockport