We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Portland Area

Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Portland Area

I am planning a long weekend trip to Maine 8/9-8/12 for hubby and myself (5th wedding anniversary actually!) We have been to Maine many times and stayed in many different towns along the coast (Portland included).

This time around I would like to stay within (short) driving distance to Portland (Old Port in particular). I do not want a 'chain' hotel nor do I want to be 'in the city'.

I understand that we will be there during Peak season and prices will be a little on the high side. However, I am only willing to pay ~$150/night.

I've scoured the internet and can't seem to make up my mind as to where to stay. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance.

Cammie

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Portland Area

You could get a room for $160 at the Kendall Tavern Bed and Breakfast, just north of the village of Freeport.

http://www.kendalltavern.com/

I've stayed there. It's nice.

Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Portland Area

Thank you for the idea.... I do plan on going to Freeport for a few hours, however (and I should have put this in my original post) we would like to stay just south of Portland....

Van Buren, Maine
Level Contributor
26 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Portland Area

Hi Cammie,

If you're looking for a fairly high-end hotel, I would definitely suggest the Embassy Suites in South Portland. My first visit to them was a bit bland and not up to par, but recently management has cracked down and the hotel is very nice as of my last visit. Check out the rates on the Hilton website (www.embassysuites.hilton.com), they guarantee to be THE CHEAPEST out of any travel website. Also figure in your budget that Embassy Suites offers a FULL hot breakfast, complete with omelettes, along with free snacks and nonalcoholic and alcoholic drinks at their nightly managers reception. Last August I paid about $157 a room, but with all the perks (free drinks and the hot breakfast), paying a little extra is definitely worth it! Happy travels!

Brandon

Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Portland Area

Thanks Brandon. I'll give them a look.

5. Re: Where to stay in Portland Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 05:02