We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fly into?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
fly into?

We will vacation in Portland from 7/2 to 7/10

Thinking of flying into Logan instead Portland.

Renting car at Logan.

Air fare less expensive?

Good idea?

Thank You

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fly into?

Driving time from Logan to Portland can be two hours or more, depending on the day, time of day, backup at the New Hampshire toll booths, etc. That weekend will be one of the busiest on the interstates and tollways between Boston and the tourism venues of Maine.

I can't answer which airport yields less expensive air fare (if indeed that was a question). The balancing act, to me, is weighing the driving time and turmoil of a Logan arrival/departure against the possibly marginal difference in air fares.

Were it me, as much as I enjoy driving, I would opt for Portland.

Edited: 05 April 2011, 07:44
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fly into?

I do anything to avoid driving to and from Logan. The airport is not easy on/easy off the interstate. Instead, it's about six and one-half miles of heavy, stop-and-go driving with roundabouts and locals that drive like crazies. It's very easy to get frustrated (definitely bring your own GPS if you have one) and if you are a typical New Yorker (don't drive a whole lot) you might not like it.

Your other options:

Fly into Portland (remember, it's only an 90 mins from NYC, so worth paying extra!)

Fly into Manchester, NH airport (much closer to highways)

Fly into Logan, but take the Concord Bus to Portland and pick up a car there

Fly into Logan, take the Amtrak to Portland skipping the roads altogether, and pick up a car there

Edited: 05 April 2011, 09:58
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fly into?

Check the two different car rental prices, it might offset your savings. Boston Logan has a $10 per day add-on fee to help them pay for the big dig, as well as other fees that Portland doesn't add (though Portland has been getting pricey too, lately)

Manchester NH is another convenient airport.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fly into?

Have you looked at Jet Blue? I think you'll find great prices direct into Portland. It's such a quick flight and eliminates the hassles of coming from Logan.

Maine
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: fly into?

No way in h*ll would I want to deal with flying into Boston, waiting for my luggage, getting a rental car and driving up to Maine on what will most likely be the busiest traffic day of the year for Routes 1 and 95 from Mass to Maine. You'd have to go through two tolls that are both known to back up for miles on busy summer travel days.

Usually I'd suggest looking at Manchester NH as an alternative airport to Portland. But again, you'd be dealing with one of the tolls known to back up to get to Maine. It would be a better option than Logan though.

Logan or Manchester may be cheaper flights but that could be entirely offset by a more expensive rental car, gas and time sitting in traffic.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fly into?

Thank you for the advice.

We will fly into Portland.

New England
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fly into?

Hubby and I usually take the airport with the cheapest flights. We use Portland, Boston and Manchester. We do not mind driving into Boston. However, if it the price is close go for Portland. Much nicer airport and no traffic to mess with.

8. Re: fly into?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 19:24
Get answers to your questions about Portland
Recent Conversations