We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boothbay Harbor in mid Sept-Activities & Restaurants?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
753 posts
47 reviews
Boothbay Harbor in mid Sept-Activities & Restaurants?

We ll be staying in Newagen Inn ( Boothbay ) 5-6 days in mid Sept(9/16 wk). What are not interested in long nature hikes etc. but open to Botanical trips (or tours) as well as boating type tours that are really unique in Maine.

FYI- We are fr NYC & bern on many whalewatch / dolphins trips all over already.

1-Cabbage Island boat ride & clambake still available in Sept? Too cold for boat tour? Is the sea very rough? How long is the entire trip:tour:clambake?

2-other boating trips

3- lighthouses?

4- museums ?

5-Recommend restaurants for lunch & dinner ? It does not have to be fancy chic upscale place- we get enough of that in the city.

Thanks for your help in advance!

8 replies to this topic
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Boothbay Harbor in mid Sept-Activities & Restaurants?

On the clambake's web site it says they go until Sept. 9. You'll have to catch them at the start of your trip. However, we have done other boat trips through Cap'n Fish as late as Columbus Day weekend. I have worn everything from a t-shirt to a fleece pullover on fall boat trips. Depending on the chosen itinerary, you can see lighthouses from the water. There is a small public landing in Southport where you can see Cuckolds Lighthouse. You should take part of a day to drive over to Pemaquid Lighthouse. Stop in Damariscotta for lunch.

As you will be at the Newagen, you should definitely do lunch or dinner at Robinson's wharf (or at least have a drink on the upper deck). We also like the Lobster Dock for a casual seafood place.

There is a Botanical Garden in Boothbay that is worth a visit.

Edited: 18 August 2018, 11:46
Walker, Minnesota
Level Contributor
24 posts
2. Re: Boothbay Harbor in mid Sept-Activities & Restaurants?

CB48-

Can you recommend places to stay in Boothbay Harbor?

My wife and I will also be there in mid-September.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Boothbay Harbor in mid Sept-Activities & Restaurants?

Hi Steve - we always camp when we're in Boothbay, so I can't offer any personal experience with hotels & inns. The great thing about Boothbay Harbor is that there is ample lodging on both sides of the harbor and there is a good variety of lodging, all within walking distance of town. In addition to the intown choices, there are inns across the bridge in Southport.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Boothbay Harbor in mid Sept-Activities & Restaurants?

The Pemaquid Point Lighthouse is the subject of the Maine state coin and one of Maine's "Big 5" lighthouses. It's a roughly 45 minute drive from Boothbay, so I would say it's a don't miss if lighthouses are one of your interests.

I don't know if the living history tour of Burnt Island will still be running, but if it is I highly recommend it. The botanical gardens was also enjoyable, so you might want to check what will be in season there.

Rutherford, New...
Level Contributor
308 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Boothbay Harbor in mid Sept-Activities & Restaurants?

Seconding the above comment, Pemaquid is the place we always sent people to who had one day to see something in the area.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
753 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Boothbay Harbor in mid Sept-Activities & Restaurants?

Thanks to all for your great suggestions ! Looking forward to mid Sept trip!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Boothbay Harbor in mid Sept-Activities & Restaurants?

Just to update: the Lobster Dock is no more. The owners sold and it is closed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
753 posts
47 reviews
8. Re: Boothbay Harbor in mid Sept-Activities & Restaurants?

Thx for update on Lobster Dock

Reply to: Boothbay Harbor in mid Sept-Activities & Restaurants?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted