We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things To Do - Lexington

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Things To Do - Lexington

We are a 60+ couple looking for suggestions of interesting things to do in & around the Lexington area during a 10 day stay in mid-late July. We enjoy historic homes, scenic drives, waterfalls, easy walking/hiking, botanical gardens, local history museums, wineries, and similar items. We are not into horses or horse racing, so will likely not visit these attractions. Suggestions for breakfast restaurants and a few dinner options would be welcome. We like seafood, steaks, Italian, and German food. I am a quilter and am always on the lookout for quilt stores when I travel. If you know of any in the area - I'd welcome the suggestions. Looking forward to seeing what is recommended.

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
362 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things To Do - Lexington

Old Frankfort Pike is a very beautiful ride. Check visitlex.com as I believe there is actually a scenic drive map.

Breakfast- windy corner. It's in a picturesque setting Drive ParisPike to get there and you will enjoy passing many beautiful horse farms.

Another good breakfast spot in town is Winchells.

You must tour Ashland the Henry Clay estate. The grounds are very nice as well. The Mary Todd Lincoln

House is downtown. The Lexington Cemetary is beautiful (as weird as that sounds). Henry Clay is buried here.

The Arboretum should be in full bloom. It's adjacent to UK on AlumninDr. For non strenuous hikes you can go to Raven Run on the outskirts of town.There are several wineries around. Jean Farris is my favorite.

My favorite restaurants include Coles (best steak in town), Bella Nolte, Nick Ryan's, Smithtown Seafood.

I believe there is a quilting shop on Moore Drive. I think it's called Quilters Square.

Edited: 21 June 2014, 12:09
cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things To Do - Lexington

Outside of the TA archives, contact the Lexington Convention and Visitors Bureau in downtown LEX reference what sightseeing is available, discounts, maps, et.al. - they are a key resource. Another is Kentucky's website that has all the events for that time period. Let me give you some high spots around LEX. for starters

You're really limiting yourself by excluding horses in LEX, the Horse Capital of the U.S. - Ky. Horse Park, self-guided car tour of horse farms with access to many, The Big Red Mile and Keeneland Race Course whose track kitchen is renowned for its southern breakfast.

Antebellem Homes - Mary Todd Lincoln home, Hopemont of John Hunt Morgan, Ashland, and much of Gratz Park is all walkable downtown with more just outside of town. This includes Shakertown at Pleasant Hill, an operating 19th century village once the home to a religious order renowned for its innovations and recipes, many of which are still served in the dining rooms of the village.

Whiskey and Wine: The Bourbon Trail is best known but Google the subject because there are many others who are not part of this promotional group all around LEX. Click on my icon to access my archived reviews which cover many of these sites.

Likewise with wine - Google the subject for the many nice wineries in the area.

Sightseeing: some day trips - Cumberland Falls on your way in, Red River Gorge area just east of Lex., maybe even drive the 1.5 hrs to Cincinnati for the Reds, our Taft and Art Museums, plus the sites of 4 U.S. Presidents (WHHarrison, Benjamin Harrison, WHTaft, USGrant) or Crohn Conservatory, or a real thrill riding the Anderson Ferry.

Once you get into the websites, you'll find soooo many more places to peak your interest.

Welcome and enjoy!!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things To Do - Lexington

I'll leave others to recommend restaurants as i have not yet had anything unusually outstanding...but then I normally eat hotel breakfast and tailgate food, haha!

BUT, I WILL say I HAVE had wonderful yummy eats at the Lexington farmers market! It is every Saturday downtown, (free parking), and some great things to sample and take home. IMO, a "must do".

Also, even though you're not a horse racing fan, some of the world class farms DO make for a BEAUTIFUL scenic drive. In the Versailles and Frankfort areas, this forum has more detailed info on that.

AND, if you are a quilter, you would likely love a visit to Berea.( I-75 south, about 30-40 minutes.) Home to Berea college, and lots of local artists and craftsmen, charming (affordable!) galleries, cozy studios, demonstrations, scenic, "cute" walkable town, etc. You can meet some of the art students, as well as some artists on occasion. There's, also a fun "Amish market" right by the interstate with very good sandwiches as well as inexpensive staple groceries and baking supplies. Berea also has a beautiful park, the Pinnacles, with some nice hiking trails. At the welcome center and shop near I75, you can pick up a guide map. There is a section on Berea on Trip Advisor.

Also the arboretum on campus is a lovely walk, great photos.

Have fun!

Edited: 21 June 2014, 12:30
Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: Things To Do - Lexington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Lexington