We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Lexington for the first time

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Visiting Lexington for the first time

Could anyone suggest which one of the horse farms is a good one to visit. It is our first time going to Lexington. I know you have to make an appointment when going to the farms, but as we won't know exactly which day we will be in Lexington, how far ahead do we have to make the appointment? Also how much time should we dedicate to visiting the horse farms? We will also be visiting the Kentucky horse park, is this a whole day tour? Anything else to suggest we see? We like the history of the horses and the industry and also would like to see how they run the farms etc. Thanks

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
412 posts
1. Re: Visiting Lexington for the first time

Horse farms are a different animal! :) You usually have to make an appointment several days in advance if not weeks during the busy season. The hours of tours can vary from farm to farm (they are a horse farm first). If you do not know exactly what day you will be in Lexington, I would suggest Old Friends since they are good about allowing people in at the last minute. I would also recommend calling a horse farm tour company and telling them about what days you will be in Lexington to check their availability.

If you go to a specific farm, tours generally last about an hour; however, if you go with a company they last about 3 hours. There is a company (Unique Horse Farm Tours) that leaves from the horse park since you are going there. I would recommend going on a bus tour or getting a step-on guide to get a well-rounded picture of the industry.

The horse park is a self-guided tour, but there are scheduled events throughout the day. You could spend a couple of hours or the whole day depending on your interest.

One of my favorite things to do is eat breakfast in the Keeneland Track Kitchen and watch the morning horse workouts at the race track. In the Track Kitchen, you will eat alongside jockeys, trainers, owners and horse lovers.

For more information, go to: www.visitlex.com/idea/horse-farms.php

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
2. Re: Visiting Lexington for the first time

Thank you so much for the information.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
110 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Lexington for the first time

As a point of clarification, are you only going to be in Lexington for one day?

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
4. Re: Visiting Lexington for the first time

Well we are not quite sure, 1 day fore sure maybe 2. We are driving to different places so not quite sure

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
110 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Lexington for the first time

The resaon I asked about the length of your stay is that you can easily spend a whole day at the Horse Park, between the different shows, the museums, the horse and pny rides, etc.

As noted above, if you are going to the Horse Park, you can buy tickets there for the Unique Horse Park tour and you can get on the bus at the front gate. It will take you to Keeneland (the local racing track for thoroughbreds), and also to several horse farms. I went on the tour once (and have been on other tours run by competitors), and when we went we got to see WinStar Frams, which is one of the most successful thoroughbred operations in the world. Among the horses we got to see were Distorted Humor, who is the father of Funny Cide (winner of two Triple Crown races, now a permanent retiree at the Kentucky Horse Park), and the grandfather of I'll Have Another, who is trying to become the first Triple Crown winner in 34 years. We also got to see Tiznow, the only two-time winner of the Breeder's Cup Classic. The guy who runs Unique is very knowledgeable about the horse racing industry and I think the tour is good for first-timers to the area. As I recall, if you buy a Unique tour, the Horse Park gives you tickets to get into the Horse Park the next day without paying a new entrance fee.

Edited: 30 May 2012, 04:03
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
6. Re: Visiting Lexington for the first time

Thank you so much for all your help. Maybe we will do the unique farm tour as well.

7. Re: Visiting Lexington for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:42
Get answers to your questions about Lexington