We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Sees with Kids

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Must Sees with Kids

We have two days in Lexington Kentucky. We are driving from Gatlinburg to Louisville, KY in June next year. My kids have the following things on their lists: Mary Todd Lincoldn House

Waveland State Historic Site

Kentucky Horsepark , Ashland: the Henry Clay Estate, Loudoun House, and the Thorousghbread Center. One of my kids has a particular facination with the Lincolns so that is a must do for us. Can you help me narrow their list down to something doable in two days.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Sees with Kids

From your other post, I would definitely keep The Kentucky Horse Park on the list. I don't know that The Thoroughbred Center would be a must see considering your time and if you also do The Kentucky Horse Park. You could definitely do Ashland and Mary Todd Lincoln in the same day and both would be well worth it. Mary Todd Lincoln House is downtown and Ashland is only a few miles out E Main that turns into Richmond Rd. I don't think Loudoun House is a must see either. It is not really a house museum, but is a beautiful structure and The Lexington Art League has their offices there. Waveland is interesting and you can definitely fit it in either by doing the Horse Park and Waveland one day, or doing Horse Park one day and Waveland, Ashland, and MTL House the other. You would be busy, but it is doable. To summarize, here is what I would do...

Monday through Saturday (closed on Sundays)

Tours available 10:00 am - 3:00pm (close at 4pm)

Closed Monday

10:00 am – 4:00 pm Tuesday – Saturday

1:00 pm – 4:00 pm Sunday

Monday through Saturday 10:00am-5:00pm

Sunday 1:00pm- 5:00pm

Open 7 days a week, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Sees with Kids

We have decided based on some of our posts to cut out a city completely and add the days in Kentucky. Thanks for your help.

Level Contributor
2 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Sees with Kids

I definitely agree with the other poster who said to keep Kentucky Horse Park on your list. It is a GREAT place for kids and families with alot of things to do. It's a great way for kids to learn about one of our big industries--which is our horses. It's reasonably priced and is well-maintained. While you are there, make SURE you take in the parade of breeds and then the Hall of Champions show (can't remember if that is the exact name of the show, but something like that). I love the horse park--I can't wait to go back!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,908 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Sees with Kids

What about Lincoln's birthplace near Hodgenville Kentucky? Mammoth Cave and Kentucky Horsepark plus Shaker Village near Harrodsburg were on our list for our Kentucky visit.

Edited: 04 July 2010, 11:17
5. Re: Must Sees with Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2010, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Lexington