We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth trip last weekend of September?

Grimes, Iowa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Worth trip last weekend of September?

We are looking at a place to go this weekend within the state of Iowa. (Anniversary trip). We have never been to Okoboji and are not experienced in water sports. Would there be much to do and see?

Mentioned in this post
7 replies to this topic
Indianola, Iowa
Level Contributor
22 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth trip last weekend of September?

Not sure I would do Okoboji this late in the season. The area kind of closes up after Labor Day. What kind of things do you like to do?

Mentioned in this post
Grimes, Iowa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth trip last weekend of September?

Thanks for the info. I am recovering from back surgery so walking, shopping, etc, maybe some lite hiking. Mostly just getting away.

Indianola, Iowa
Level Contributor
22 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth trip last weekend of September?

You might take a look at the Iowa Tourism web site. They have a number of suggestions for weekend getaways. www.traveliowa.com/explore/itineraries?tcid=7

And thought not exactly a long distance for you travel from Grimes, the Hotel Pattee in Perry certainly qualifies as an interesting weekend spot.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth trip last weekend of September?

Dubuque might fit the bill.

Mentioned in this post
Iowa
Level Contributor
646 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth trip last weekend of September?

I agree with Dubuque. Lots to do. Check out www.traveldubuque.com and www.dubuque365.com for some insights on what's going on.

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
7,123 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth trip last weekend of September?

Dubuque gets my vote for the most interesting city in Iowa. Check out Fenelon Place Elevator, The Mississippi River Aquarium and the amazing stained glass in St. Luke's United Methodist Church. tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g37853-Activitie…

Dyersville is near Dubuque with the Field of Dreams (the corn will be brown or harvested), the doll museum, and Farm Toy Museum. Galena, Ilinois, about 20 miles past Dubuque, is a tourist mecca.

You might also consider Kalona. Kalona Fall Festival is this Friday and Saturday, September 25 & 26. We enjoyed a couple of hours visit to the festival a couple of years ago. Seemed to be mostly locals in attendance. School groups performed one after the other. Nonprofit groups manned the food tents selling french fried onions, Mexican food, bratwurst, pie, ice cream, and the like. I had a boneless pork chop on a stick, $3.50. There were a few craft demonstrations. Old one cylinder engines were on display and powering machinery. Vendors offered a few crafts, I spent some time with a fellow who sold postcards from nearly every town in Iowa.

The festival is held at the Kalona Historical Village, an open air museum of donated buildings. We stuck our head into a log cabin, the Kalona train depot, and the one room schoolhouse. The museum featured quilts and locally made glassware.

Kalona is noted for its large Amish and Mennonite community, with some members still stuck in the 1800's dressing conservatively and driving horse drawn wagons. Riverside is nearby with the Future Birthplace of James T. Kirk monument. I have seen the monument, do not know if there is really a plaque marking the future conception spot of James T. Kirk under the pool table in the tavern. tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g38341-Activitie…

Mentioned in this post
St. Luke's United Methodist Church
St. Luke's United...
75 Reviews
Dubuque, IA
Galena
Galena
Illinois
USA
Level Contributor
7,123 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth trip last weekend of September?

Pella's fall festival is this weekend, too: http://www.pellahistorical.org/ Pella might be too close to home for a weekend getaway.

I have a mental note to see the sights of Mason City the next time I am in that area, might make a good weekend trip. The Historic Park Inn Hotel has a room available on Friday only. stoneycreekhotels.com/hotel/…home.do

I want to visit Music Man Square and tour the Stockman House: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g38147-Activitie… I checked out the footbridge years ago: visitmasoncityiowa.com/music-man-footbridge

Mentioned in this post
Mason
Mason
Warren County, OH
Reply to: Worth trip last weekend of September?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Okoboji