We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Notre Dame Travel and Game Day Advice

Minnesota
Level Contributor
262 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Notre Dame Travel and Game Day Advice

Okay, I am super fired up as I just bought 6 tickets to see Notre Dame play Stanford on October 15th. I will be with my three sons (10, 12, and 14) and two others. However, my logistical nightmare is beginning.....

Can anyone help me with the following questions?? I am trying to make this as stress free as possible.......

-- Driving from Northeast Minnesota on Friday night (9:30 pm departure)

-- Will probably drive all night long even though game time is 7:30 pm Eastern time.... I lose an hour on the drive due to time zone change. Not sure if I want to get a hotel room for five hours of sleep.

-- Should I pre-pay for a parking pass on Stubhub or a place like that??

-- If I end up getting to the campus later in the day, is there a chance the parking lot will be full even if i have a prepaid pass?? I just want Parking and driving in to be as easy as possible......

-- Any recommendations on Parking?? I have read the website and understand the places to park....just wondering if the pre-paid spots at the golf course are legit??

-- Didn't plan for hotels as I just got the tickets......Anyone have a place they stay at west of South Bend that is reasonable?? I know, I know, Chicago is right there.....just trying not to break the bank.......

Any help would be appreciated.....First time Notre Dame game and a Christmas Present for my three boys....... Thanks everyone!!

Edited: 05 October 2016, 01:11
Mentioned in this post
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Notre Dame Travel and Game Day Advice

gameday.nd.edu

Type "Notre Dame" in the search box. You'll see plenty of information on parking. The easiest parking is north of campus. Just drive off the tollway exit 77 and keep going straight and you'll get there. They will not run out of room. You can walk across campus to the Stadium or take a bus to the Library.

Look for a motel near Michigan City or Chesterton.

Mentioned in this post
Minnesota
Level Contributor
262 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Notre Dame Travel and Game Day Advice

Got a prepaid Ticket at Eddy St. Commons........

I Plan on taking Exit 72 in and trying to avoid Exit 77 traffic....is this a good idea??

Also, my dad is older and my kids not so tall.......will I have issues in the upper deck with fans standing the entire game?? Just want to know what to prepare myself for........

Thanks for any info.....

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Notre Dame Travel and Game Day Advice

Exit 72 is a good idea. Pick up Eddy St at LaSalle St or thereabouts and drive north.

The only people who stand during the game are students. If you can't see, ask the usher to move you.

Mentioned in this post
LaSalle Grill
LaSalle Grill
467 Reviews
South Bend, IN
Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
956 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Notre Dame Travel and Game Day Advice

Sorry - haven't been on TA for a few weeks.

You have your parking resolved. For future readers, I always park in the neighborhood just south of Angela - on Pokagon or Peashway or the north south streets between them. Nice neighborhood and generally easy egress after the game.

You are going to get pushed in one direction after the game - go with the flow - they will get you back to the Toll Road.

As noted you should have no issues with people standing to block your view. One of the problems with the Notre Dame crowd is the "down in front" crowd. Not a very hostile environment for the opposition. In the Upper Level you have considerably more room between rows than you do in the lower bowl. You may have people standing for big plays.

My son and I started going to games when he was 7. He's now a senior at Notre Dame. Some suggestions on things to do based on our experiences

1. Get there early enough to walk around campus. The must see places - Make sure you stop by the Grotto, go through the Basilica (there is a Mass at 4pm) and the Main Building (the Golden Dome). Students do not walk on the steps to the Main Building until they graduate.

2. Game day events to consider:

a. I imagine your boys would enjoy the player walk. Queue up between the library (Touchdown Jesus) and the stadium for the 5:15 walk. You can also get your obligatory Touchdown Jesus picture here.

b. Go to the Main Building for Trumpets Under the Dome at 6:30. Get there at least 10-15 minutes early, 30 minutes or so if you want a good standing spot. Go to YouTube and search for it to get an idea. Probably my favorite pre game activity.

c. The band plays on the steps of Bond Hall at 6:00. You can do the first 15 minutes of their show before walking to the Main Building for Trumpets and still get a good spot.

3. Other places on campus to visit / things to look for

a. Go to the Rockne Memorial on the end of South Quad and rub the nose on the bust of Knute in the lobby for good luck.

b. Find the Fair Catch Corby statue outside Corby Hall. It is Father Corby giving absolution to the troops on the battlefield at Gettysburg. But he does have his hand up like he is calling for a fair catch.

c. It should be a gorgeous day - just enjoy walking around campus - go down by the Lake, see the Log Cabin.

d. Visit the Joyce ACC (basketball arena) - there is usually something going on in the North Dome and the basketball team may well be practicing in the South Dome at some time during the day.

e The Visitor's Center is by the bookstore - they should have a campus map or you can print one out here

https:/…campus-map.pdf

My son and I used to enjoy tossing a football around as we walked around campus. In the old days we could take the football in to the game. I think today you would need to take it back to your vehicle.

As for a hotel, yeah its tough. You probably would need to get back to Merrillville to get a regularly priced hotel. Looks like there are a few hotels in and around LaPorte that have availability. Given the disappointing season so far, there may be some rooms that come available late in South Bend - but they probably will still be expensive.

During the game the student section is fun to watch. Most importantly, make sure you are in your seats and paying attention at the end of the third quarter for a couple of Notre Dame in game traditions.

Going to be an interesting Saturday for me - taking a bus trip up from Indy for the first time. Decided that would be better than getting a hotel after the game. Although getting back to Indy around 3:00 is going to be interesting.

Have fun - any questions feel to post - I will be checking back.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
LaPorte
LaPorte
Indiana
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Notre Dame Travel and Game Day Advice

Re: leaving after the game.

I don't know where the traffic control people will send you after the game. Hopefully, you can go south on Eddy St. and get back to the tollway via exit 72 or take Western Ave west to your motel.

West Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
51 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Notre Dame Travel and Game Day Advice

Another hotel option is Kalamazoo.

7. Re: Notre Dame Travel and Game Day Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2018, 16:18