We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk-on procedure for Black Ball ferry + parking

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
903 posts
586 reviews
Save Topic
Walk-on procedure for Black Ball ferry + parking

I need to get over to Port Angeles to pick up a parcel (and before you ask: No, I can't get the part until end of June in Victoria and no one will ship it to Canada from the U.S.) and have a few questions:

The Black Ball site indicates 20-30 minutes in advance is sufficient for walk-on passengers in either direction. Is that a comfortable amount of time?

What the parking situation is like near the terminal in Victoria?

Mentioned in this post
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
6 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
17,993 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk-on procedure for Black Ball ferry + parking

There is public parking in a lot nearby https://goo.gl/maps/x3C4pY5zaVJ2

and the building at street level https://goo.gl/maps/7WpyCSMrSrv

and tel # in Victoria https://www.cohoferry.com/contact-us

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,349 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk-on procedure for Black Ball ferry + parking

You will go through US Customs pre-clearance before boarding. Should not be nearly as time consuming as travelling by car.

Are you going just for the day? I would first check out parking time restrictions on Oswego, Kingston, Superior and Michigan before parking in a lot. Not for an overnight though. I know Québec St has 1 hour parking signs now.

Mentioned in this post
The Oswego Hotel
The Oswego Hotel
2,025 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
903 posts
586 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk-on procedure for Black Ball ferry + parking

Thanks. I will go early and check those out before paying for parking. Yep, just for the day. i guess from either a little after 10h to a little after 16h or 1930 depending on the travel date.

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
903 posts
586 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk-on procedure for Black Ball ferry + parking

Some feedback for those who are contemplating this.

I doubt you really have to be there more than 30 minutes before departure, even 15-20 minutes, as long as you have no issues entering the U.S.

Buy or pick up ticket

Fill in the passenger manifest ticket for the ship (name, gender, age, in case the ship sinks)

U.S. immigration - no customs forms for Canadians or U.S. citizens - no I-94s or any sort to fill either for others

Probably no longer than 1 minute walk from immigration to the ship, hand ticket and manifest slip to purser

Customs clearance is at the other end in Port Angeles. Verbal declaration. No form needed.

Trip to PA takes slightly longer as the ship has to reverse and turn around out of dock in Vctoria and and pivot/reverse in at PA.

I bussed it from Metchosin/Langford ($5 for a day pass). Beats driving in traffic or worrying about parking.

Edited: today, 11:00
Mentioned in this post
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Langford
Langford
Vancouver Island, Canada
Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk-on procedure for Black Ball ferry + parking

Good update. Did you need Gravol or was it not too rough?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk-on procedure for Black Ball ferry + parking

We took this ferry last week. The ocean wasn't rough, no whitecaps out there, but as always there is a significant swell after you get out from shore. I've been seasick a few times in other places, but not on the Coho. Maybe not enough motion to trigger it , andor not enough duration.

As for the parking, the parking lot above is $3 per hour according to the sign you can see on Streetview.

There is another lot just around the corner. https://goo.gl/maps/hESF2nGnAV72 I can't see the sign on streetview, but if you click on the lot, you get some customer reviews, the latest one of which, mentions charges of $2 per 2 hours.

Reply to: Walk-on procedure for Black Ball ferry + parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted